With 2013 now coming to a close, it is time to look back at the year's biggest box office hits that made us laugh, scream, cry and believe about love. These movies made headlines worldwide and garnered millions of dollars in the box office and their casts are more famous than ever and richer.
Here are the ten top grossing films of 2013.
1. Iron Man 3 - With $1,215,439,994 worldwide box office gross, Iron Man 3 was released in Sept. 12, and comes with an ensemble cast including Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man himself, Gwyneth Paltrow, Don Cheadle, Guy Pearce, Ben Kingsley and Rebecca Hall. The movie won the Teen Choice Awards for action movies and Robert Downey Jr. as the best actor for action movies.
2. Despicable Me 2 - A sequel for 2010's "Despicable Me," "Despicable Me 2" is a 3D computer-animated action comedy film directed by Pierre Coffin and Chris Renaud. The film marks the first time that Illumination Entertainment made a sequel film. With the voices of Steve Carell, Miranda Cosgrove and Russel Brand; this movie is bound for greatness.
3.The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - Produced and distributed by Lionsgate, "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" is the second installment in the "The Hunger Games" trilogy. Jennifer Lawrence returns as Katniss Everdeen and the rest of the cast including Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Elizabeth Banks and Woody Harrelson.
4. Man of Steel - Directed by Zack Snyder, "Man of Steel" is based on the DC Comics character Superman and a reboot of the Superman film series. The movie stars Henry Cavill as Superman with Amy Adams as Lois Lane, Diane Lane as Martha Kent and Kevin Costner as Jonathan Kent.
5. Monsters University - Another 3D computer-animated comedy film, "Monsters University" is directed by Dan Scanlon and produced by Kori Rae. Produced by Pixar, the film is a prequel to 2010's "Monters Inc."
6. Gravity - A 3D science-fiction thriller, "Gravity" stars Sandra Bullock and George Clooney as two astronauts trapped in the mid-orbit destruction of a space shuttle as they attempt to go back to earth. Directed, co-written, co-produced and co-edited by Alfonso Cuaron, the film has a worldwide grossed of $642,535,785.
7. Fast & Furious 6 - Known as "Fast 6," the movie is the sixth installment in the "Fast and the Furious" film series. The gang is back with their fast cars as the new film follows Dominic Toretto, played by Vin Diesel, who retired by from his old ways following their successful heist in "Fast Five."
8. Oz the Great and Powerful - An American fantasy adventure film directed by Sam Raimi, the movie stars James Franco as the Great Oz, Mila Kunis as Theodora, Rachel Weisz as Evanora, Michelle Williams as Glinda.
9. Star Trek Into Darkness - The movie is the twelfth installment in the Star Trek film franchise, 'Star Trek Into Darkness" is directed by J.J. Abrams that earned $13.5 million on its opening day in the U.S. and Canada. The movie has earned $467 million worldwide; making it's the highest-grossing film of the franchise.
10.World War Z - The latest film of Brad Pitt, "World War Z" is a British-American apocalyptic film directed by Marc Forster. Pitt plays Gerry Lane, a former United Nations investigator who is compelled into returning to investigate the pandemic that affected the whole world.
To contact the editor, e-mail: