New Zealander Kim Allan Breaks World Record for Running Without Sleep for 500KM
By Reissa Su | December 23, 2013 3:23 PM EST
Ultra-distance runner from New Zealand, Kim Allan, breaks a world record for running without sleep and passing the previous recorded distance of 500 kilometres. The previous women's record was at 486 km. Ms Allan surpassed that distance just two hours later.
The 47-year-old Kiwi runner began her quest on Dec. 19. She had slowed down in the last remaining laps. Michael Rodcliffe, a supporter of Ms Allan, said they didn't celebrate when she passed the 486 km record since they had initially planned to celebrate when she passed the 500 km mark.
Kim Allan passed the 500 km mark after 86 hours, 11 minutes and 9 seconds without sleeping, according to event co-manager Mark Stone. Ms Allan said she was overwhelmed by the achievement and could not believe her quest was over.
Ms Allan dedicated her victory to her family and the New Zealand Spinal Trust. She thanked her support team for being with her every step of the way.
The family of Ms Allan brought her straight home to catch up on sleep. Ms Allan ran to support her designated charity and help raise money. Mr Gray, who was with Ms Allan along with the support team, said she went on a run in 2012 but only finished 375 kilometres. Her determination to come back this year has finally paid off.
New Zealand Spinal Trust representative Carolynn Day was there to hold one end of the finishing tape. She congratulated Ms Allan after her run.
Ms Allan's friend, Claire Donachie, who was the inspiration for the charity event, was thrown off a horse in 2012 and is now using a wheelchair. Ms Donachie was glad her friend was able to finish what she started. She joined Ms Allan along the way last Dec. 21.
The successful event has led to organisers to consider creating an annual event called "Sleepless in Auckland Challenge" with the prize named after Kim Allan.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How