New Zealander Kim Allan Breaks World Record for Running Without Sleep for 500KM
By Reissa Su | December 23, 2013 3:23 PM EST
Ultra-distance runner from New Zealand, Kim Allan, breaks a world record for running without sleep and passing the previous recorded distance of 500 kilometres. The previous women's record was at 486 km. Ms Allan surpassed that distance just two hours later.
The 47-year-old Kiwi runner began her quest on Dec. 19. She had slowed down in the last remaining laps. Michael Rodcliffe, a supporter of Ms Allan, said they didn't celebrate when she passed the 486 km record since they had initially planned to celebrate when she passed the 500 km mark.
Kim Allan passed the 500 km mark after 86 hours, 11 minutes and 9 seconds without sleeping, according to event co-manager Mark Stone. Ms Allan said she was overwhelmed by the achievement and could not believe her quest was over.
Ms Allan dedicated her victory to her family and the New Zealand Spinal Trust. She thanked her support team for being with her every step of the way.
The family of Ms Allan brought her straight home to catch up on sleep. Ms Allan ran to support her designated charity and help raise money. Mr Gray, who was with Ms Allan along with the support team, said she went on a run in 2012 but only finished 375 kilometres. Her determination to come back this year has finally paid off.
New Zealand Spinal Trust representative Carolynn Day was there to hold one end of the finishing tape. She congratulated Ms Allan after her run.
Ms Allan's friend, Claire Donachie, who was the inspiration for the charity event, was thrown off a horse in 2012 and is now using a wheelchair. Ms Donachie was glad her friend was able to finish what she started. She joined Ms Allan along the way last Dec. 21.
The successful event has led to organisers to consider creating an annual event called "Sleepless in Auckland Challenge" with the prize named after Kim Allan.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Baby Corpses Found in Storage Locker in Canada
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- ISIS Taking U.S.-Airdropped Weapons An 'Embarrassment'; Another Yazidi Massacre Looming [VIDEO]
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier