NBA Trade News: Memphis Grizzlies Sending Zach Randolph To Brooklyn Nets For Paul Pierce, Draft Picks
By Lou Ramon Aguila | December 23, 2013 9:22 AM EST
The Memphis Grizzlies could trade All-Star power forward Zach Randolph to the Brooklyn Nets, a reliable league insider reported on Friday.
Randolph, who averaged 16.0 points and 9.7 rebounds last season with the Grizzlies, could be on his way out of Memphis before the midseason trade deadline. According to multiple sources, Randolph has become dispensable for the Grizzlies because of the emergence some of their young bigmen such as Ed Davis and Jon Leuer.
In a recent trade rumor on Sports Nation, the Nets are reportedly preparing to send package to the Grizzlies in exchange for Randolph. Sources indicated the package includes recently acquired small forward Paul Pierce and draft picks.
"The latest comes from Sports Nation and has the Nets looking to acquire Memphis power forward Zach Randolph with Pierce headed to the Grizzlies. This trade proposal is intriguing as it has the Nets landing another proven scorer, but also a player that hits the glass hard, something this team is missing with the current roster," Sports Nation stated via Digital Journal.
Z-Bo's impact on the Nets
At the age of 30, Randolph is still very much capable of producing double-double stats in every single game. Z-Bo can also give the Nets some toughness on the interior, an area the ballclub is direly lacking this season.
Moreover, Randolph's presence will allow veteran power forward Kevin Garnett to do his damage off the bench or even slide to center position as the Nets try to recover from Brook Lopez's season-ending foot injury.
"Randolph has playoffs experience and despite being another player over the age of 30, his skill level is still high enough to get this team back on track in the weak Eastern Conference and into contention for a spot in the final eight," Sports Nation added on Digital Journal.
Pierce with the Grizzlies
In a very competitive Western Conference battle, the Grizzlies direly needs a star who has the ability to knock down jumpers and spread opposing defense pretty well. Pierce may not be at his prime anymore, but he can still get the job done on both ends of the floor.
Though Pierce's arrival would not automatically mean success for the Grizzlies this year, the veteran's expiring contract would allow the franchise to have flexibility as they look to sign an up-and-coming talent or another star this coming summer.
"Memphis has never been shy about making moves. Adding Pierce would only be a one year tryout with the team looking to lose the salary to sign some younger talent next summer, but the Grizzlies are also struggling and while this trade might not help them this season, it could land them the star player they need to become one of the top teams in the NBA in 2014-15," Digital News.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 4: San Francisco Giants 11, Kansas City Royals 4 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles