NBA Trade News: Memphis Grizzlies Sending Zach Randolph To Brooklyn Nets For Paul Pierce, Draft Picks
By Lou Ramon Aguila | December 23, 2013 9:22 AM EST
The Memphis Grizzlies could trade All-Star power forward Zach Randolph to the Brooklyn Nets, a reliable league insider reported on Friday.
Randolph, who averaged 16.0 points and 9.7 rebounds last season with the Grizzlies, could be on his way out of Memphis before the midseason trade deadline. According to multiple sources, Randolph has become dispensable for the Grizzlies because of the emergence some of their young bigmen such as Ed Davis and Jon Leuer.
In a recent trade rumor on Sports Nation, the Nets are reportedly preparing to send package to the Grizzlies in exchange for Randolph. Sources indicated the package includes recently acquired small forward Paul Pierce and draft picks.
"The latest comes from Sports Nation and has the Nets looking to acquire Memphis power forward Zach Randolph with Pierce headed to the Grizzlies. This trade proposal is intriguing as it has the Nets landing another proven scorer, but also a player that hits the glass hard, something this team is missing with the current roster," Sports Nation stated via Digital Journal.
Z-Bo's impact on the Nets
At the age of 30, Randolph is still very much capable of producing double-double stats in every single game. Z-Bo can also give the Nets some toughness on the interior, an area the ballclub is direly lacking this season.
Moreover, Randolph's presence will allow veteran power forward Kevin Garnett to do his damage off the bench or even slide to center position as the Nets try to recover from Brook Lopez's season-ending foot injury.
"Randolph has playoffs experience and despite being another player over the age of 30, his skill level is still high enough to get this team back on track in the weak Eastern Conference and into contention for a spot in the final eight," Sports Nation added on Digital Journal.
Pierce with the Grizzlies
In a very competitive Western Conference battle, the Grizzlies direly needs a star who has the ability to knock down jumpers and spread opposing defense pretty well. Pierce may not be at his prime anymore, but he can still get the job done on both ends of the floor.
Though Pierce's arrival would not automatically mean success for the Grizzlies this year, the veteran's expiring contract would allow the franchise to have flexibility as they look to sign an up-and-coming talent or another star this coming summer.
"Memphis has never been shy about making moves. Adding Pierce would only be a one year tryout with the team looking to lose the salary to sign some younger talent next summer, but the Grizzlies are also struggling and while this trade might not help them this season, it could land them the star player they need to become one of the top teams in the NBA in 2014-15," Digital News.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports