Samsung Galaxy Nexus is excluded among Android 4.4 eligible devices due to 18-month window update expiration. Fortunately, developers have made effort to create an Android 4.4.2 firmware designed for Galaxy Nexus I9250.
OmniMetal 4.4.2 ROM
OmniMetal ROM added tons of new features based on the latest Android 4.4.2 KitKat version for Samsung Galaxy Nexus just like other custom ROMs. It includes CPU governor, better multi-tasking management and bloatware free system.
1. Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250 GT-I8190, it is not confirmed if it works with other Galaxy Nexus variants.
2. Create a manual backup of all personal information, settings and files on the Galaxy Nexus
3. Make sure that the battery level is at least 50 per cent to avoid power interruption during the flash.
4. Root the Galaxy Nexus and install a custom recovery such as ClockworkMod recovery.
5. Enable USB debugging mode. Go to 'Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging.'
6. Download and install the necessary USB drivers for Galaxy Nexus on the computer.
7. Download the OmniROM 4.4 custom ROM and Google Apps package to your computer.
Warning: OmniROM 4.4 requires manual installation on the Galaxy Nexus. IBTimes and developers of OmniROM are not responsible for any damages which may occur on your handset. Read, understand and follow the instructions to avoid damaging the smartphone. Do this at your own risk.
1. Connect the Samsung Galaxy Nexus to the computer using a USB cable.
2. Copy the OmniROM 4.4 custom ROM and Google Apps package to the microSD card of Galaxy Nexus. No need to extract any of the zip files.
3. Disconnect the Galaxy Nexus then switch it off.
4. Reboot into boot loader mode by pressing and holding the "volume up + volume down + power" keys at the same time till the Samsung logo appears.
5. Select the recovery on the boot loader mode menus. Then create a nAndroid backup by selecting "backup and restore > backup." You may restore the saved ROM anytime you want.
6. Perform a full wipe on your device. Select "wipe data/factory reset" and "wipe cache partition." Then select "advanced > wipe Dalvik cache."
7. Install the OmniROM 4.4 by selecting "install zip from SD card > choose zip from SD card > look for the firmware > confirm installation." Apply the same with Google Apps zip file.
8. After the installation, go back to the main menu and select "reboot system now."
9. Your Galaxy Nexus will restart and may take up to five minutes before reaching the home screen.
Congratulations! Now your Samsung Galaxy Nexus is running the latest Android 4.4.2 KitKat OS, thanks to OmniROM 4.4 custom firmware.
For comments or issues, send your feedback to Samsung Galaxy Nexus Team Android original thread.
To contact the editor, e-mail: