Prince Harry and Team Forced Out of South Pole Due to Polar Storm
By Jesselle Maminta | December 19, 2013 12:27 PM EST
Prince Harry and his team are forced to leave the South Pole earlier than expected due to a polar storm.
The expedition organizers announced that the 29-year-old royal and his teammates, including "True Blood's" Alexander Skarsgard and "The Wire's" Dominic West, left Novolazarevskaya Station in Antarctica on Wednesday and are headed to Cape Town, South Africa.
The sudden evacuation from the South Pole is due to the onset of a major polar storm which will cause their early demise if the team had not left the vicinity as soon as possible.
'An intense area of low pressure is moving towards the Novo area bringing thick cloud, some snow and winds gusting up to 40 mph or more,' said Catherine Murphy, a forecaster for the British Met Office working on location in Antarctica, in a statement released by Walking with the Wounded.
'This could cause drifting snow or, as the winds strengthen, whiteout conditions which make travel difficult or impossible. These conditions could last for several days as the weather system moves through.'
Meanwhile, Walking with the Wounded co-founder Ed Park left a voice blog to the London headquarters on their latest situation as they leave Antarctica in a 'very blustery, very snowy day, with a blizzard comming.'
'We are about to fly out to - well, we are about to be dragged out on the back of a Ski-Doo to our Aleutian aircraft,' says Park.
'That Aleutian aircraft will be flying us back to Cape Town, where we have a few days of decompression before returning home to our loved ones.'
The team is due to return to the United Kingdom by next Wednesday, Dec. 23, in time for Christmas Day.
Prince Harry, Skarsgard, West and the rest of the team completed a 200-mile trek to the South Pole on Dec. 13, and spent the weekend there before flying in two separate groups back to the Novo Station. The expedition aims to raise money for Walk With The Wounded, a charity close to the prince's heart.
'They're going to achieve something quite remarkable and in doing so will prove to everybody else that even when you've lost a leg, you've lost an arm or whatever the illness may be, that you can achieve pretty much anything if you put your mind to it,' said the prince at the official departure in London last November.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Update: Louise And Blake To Make Their First Appearance As A Couple In Australia
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery