Tennis News: Djokovic Taps Legend Becker as Coach
By James Patrick Quizon | December 19, 2013 9:23 AM EST
Novak Djokovic is leaving no stone unturned in preparation for the new tennis season. Ranked second in the ATP rankings in the year-end rankings, the Serb has hired German Boris Becker as one of his coaches to help him reclaim the top spot in the sport.
Other coaches in the Serbian’s camp are Marian Vajda, Miljan Amanovic and Gebhard Phil-Gritsch.
“I am really excited to have the opportunity to work with Boris. He is a true legend, someone who has great tennis knowledge and his experience will help me win new trophies from the Grand Slams and other tournaments. Becker is a great person, too, and I am sure he will fit in our team in the best possible way. stated Djokovic in his official website novakdjokovic.com.
“Boris brings new fresh approach, and together with Vajda he will make a winning combination. My goal for 2014 is to play my best tennis and to get in shape for the Grand Slams and Masters 1000. These tournaments have the most weight in our sport, and I want to prove my worth at them. The team is now strengthened and we hope for maximum results.”
Djokovic had another great season but came up short against rival Rafael Nadal, who stole the No.1 ranking in the latter part of 2013.
The Serb won a total of seven ATP titles in the 2013 season including the Australian Open. He was at the pinnacle of the rankings in September 30, 2013 but fell to second as Nadal took over from October until the end of year.
Like the Serbian, the 46-year-old German was considered one of the best players in his era. The former world number one won six Grand Slam titles including a Wimbledon championship when he won the London event as the youngest Wimby champion ever at 17 years old. He has also won a total of 64 ATP titles plus Davis Cup titles and an Olympic gold medal.
“I am proud Novak invited me to become his Head Coach. I will do my best to help him reach his goals, and I am sure we can achieve great things together,” said Becker.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Best Black Friday 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More