Owners of Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100 can now update their devices with Jelly Bean 4.2 XWLSS through a custom ROM. The SlimBean team provided the ROM and is better known as SlimBean 5. Members of XDA Developers have been helpful to many users providing custom ROMs to update devices. Installation process is similar among handsets.
Users must understand that most custom ROMs cater to international versions of their devices. They can check if their handsets qualify via Settings > About Phone. Users should also check if they have the necessary USB drivers. It is impossible to update the device without the right drivers on the computer.
USB Debugging should be enabled before installing any type of ROM. To do this, users must proceed to Settings > Developer Options for Android 4. For Android 2.3 or later models, they can go to Settings > Applications > Development. Users with Jelly Bean 4.2 can check Settings > About Phone. Go to the bottom and select the build number.
Tap on the build number 7 times to check the Developer Options in Settings. This is a hidden option. Users should select USB Debugging in Settings then go to Developer Options. The battery level of the handset should be at least 80% or more. It will be difficult if update halts because of power disruptions.
To install the ROM on the handset, follow these steps:
1. Connect the Samsung Galaxy S2 to the computer via USB cable.
2. Copy the downloaded ROM including the Google Apps zip files to the root folder on the SD card of the handset.
3. Switch off the phone. Disconnect handset from the computer.
4. Press and hold Power, Home and Volume Up controls. Press and hold until the Samsung logo appears. Release hold on the controls and press again after 30 seconds. This will prompt the handset to go into CWM recovery. User Volume Key to go through the options. Choose an option in recovery.
5. Create a Nandroid backup of the current ROM. This will allow users to restore their ROM in case the new ROM will not work. People will also be able to switch back to the previous ROM whenever they want. To create a backup, select Backup and Restore. Choose Backup and go back to the main recovery menu.
6. Do a complete data wipe, go to Wipe Data > Factory Reset then click Yes. Wait for a few minutes until the handset has completed the process.
7. Go back to the CWM recovery main menu. Choose Wipe Cache Partition. Wait until the handset completes the process.
8. Select Wipe Dalvik Cache in advance option.
9. Select Install zip from SD card and then select zip from SD card. Go back to the Slim Bean Build 5 ROM zip file transferred earlier. Confirm installation. Click Yes. This will start the installation process.
10. Wait until Android 4.2 Jelly Bean SlimBean ROM is installed. Repeat step 9. This time, select the Slim Bean Google apps zip file to install Google apps.
11. Once this is complete, go back to the main recovery menu. Choose reboot system now to reboot the handset.
Disclaimer: We have no control over what happens to the device following installation and update. Users can install and update at their own risk.
To contact the editor, e-mail: