NBA Trade News: Sacramento Kings to Get Rajon Rondo, Gerald Wallace; Celtics Receive Isiah Thomas, Ben McLeMore & Draft Picks in Proposed Blockbuster Deal
By Lou Ramon Aguila | December 16, 2013 2:45 PM EST
The Sacramento Kings are reportedly preparing a package for Boston Celtics All-Star point guard Rajon Rondo, a reliable league source disclosed on Thursday.
After trading for Derrick Williams and the Rudy Gay this season, the Kings continue to be aggressive on the trading front, but this time they are looking to acquire the reigning assists champion.
The Celtics front office stressed that they have no intention trading away Rondo, who is still rehabilitating from an ACL injury. However, the Kings are willing to trade away their young stars and draft picks for a shot at landing the prolific floor general.
According to NBA Buzz, the Kings are ready to send third-year point guard Isiah Thomas, rookie shooting guard Ben McLemore, shooting guard Marcos Thornton, power forward Jason Thompson, and two future first-round picks to the Celtics for Rondo.
Spearheaded by a new ownership, the Kings envision a formidable starting lineup consists of Rondo, Gay, Williams and center Demarcus Cousins. Sacramento has not appeared in the postseason since the 2005-2006 season, the last year of Rick Adelman as a coach. However, the efforts being put into by the current ownership only showed the Kings' intention to contend for a playoff spot after several years of futility.
Bill Simons' Trade Proposal
Even before this trade rumours broke out, hardcore Celtics fan and ESPN NBA analyst Bill Simmons already predicted the Kings will be trying to nab Rondo via trade this season. Here's Simmons' version of Kings-Celtics deal:
"The Celtics give up Rondo, Gerald Wallace and MarShon Brooks in exchange for the expiring contracts of John Salmons, Patrick Patterson, Jimmer Fredette and Greivis Vasquez, as well as rookie Ben McLemore," via Bleacher Sports.
Salmons, Patterson and Vasques were already traded to the Raptors as part of the Rudy Gay deal. Nevertheless, the Kings still have the assets to make this blockbuster trade, knowing the Celtics are after the draft picks.
MarShon Brooks, who was one of several personnel traded by the Brooklyn Nets to make last summer's blockbuster deal work, could be moved again as he struggled to find solid minutes under head coach Brad Stevens.
So far, the Celtics have remained focused on having Rondo back in January before assessing if he's tradable or not. Boston is surprisingly in the playoff mix because of the outstanding play of Jordan Crawford, Avery Bradley and Jeff Green. For now, stay tuned for another stunning trade development.
NBA Trade News, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown