Galaxy Grand Duos users can now upgrade their devices to the latest Android software version, 4.4.1 KitKat, using unofficial CyanogenMod (CM) 11.0 build, released by recognised XDA developer, pawitp.
Screenshot of Android
4.4.1 KItKat running on Galaxy Grand Duos.
One of the key features of the CM 11 is that it can be used on both GT-I9082 and GT-I9082L variants of Galaxy Grand Duos. Most of the features are working in this update. The developer has also noted that as this custom build does not work on Android 4.1 stock ROM's, users need to upgrade the device to Android 4.2 before flashing.
What is working
RIL (Calls, SMS, Mobile Data)
Sensors (Accelerometer, Compass, Light, Proximity)
Camera (Photo & video)
Audio (Playback & recording)
Only the primary SIM slot works
HW Composer not used in landscape
Bad animation when switching between portrait > landscape
Screenshot does not work
FM Radio does not work
No anti-branding settings in Camera
Stock browser does not use hardware acceleration (Use Google Chrome)
Head over to the development thread to learn more about the Android 4.4.1CM11 ROM.
Android 4.4.1 KitKat running on Galaxy Grand Duos.
Those who wish to upgrade their devices to Android 4.4.1 KitKat using the CM11 ROM, may follow our step-by-step guide.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device. Users are also advised to verify that their devices meet the following requirements before the ROM installation.
1) Install USB Driver for Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos to connect the Android device with computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Navigate to Settings>> Developer Options to enable USB Debugging Mode.]
3) As the tutorial might wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP installed then backup data using the recovery.
4) If the Android device powers off due to lack of battery during the installation process, it could damage the device. Therefore, the Galaxy Grand should have above 80% battery charge.
5) The phone should be rooted and have either CWM recovery.
6) The Android 4.4.1 KitKat CM11 ROM is compatible only with Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos I9082/I9082L. As flashing this on any incorrect variant might brick the device, verify the model number of the Galaxy Grand Duos by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
7) This CM11 ROM will boot if it is installed over Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean from Samsung. Therefore, the Galaxy Grand Duos should be running on Android 4.2.2.
Files required to download
Android 4.4.1 KitKat CM11 ROM [File name: cm-11-20131210-UNOFFICIAL-i9082.zip]
Google Apps package [File name: gapps-kk-20131119.zip]
CWM Recovery file [recovery_20131210.tar]
Note: Before proceeding, transfer all these downloaded files to a separate folder on the Galayx Grand Duos.
How to install Android 4.4.1 KitKat on Galaxy Grand Duos with unofficial CM11 ROM
Step-1: Boot the Galaxy Grand Duos into recovery mode. To do so, first power off the phone and wait for five to 10 seconds until the device goes off completely. Press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together and release them once the Galaxy Note logo appears on the screen
Note: In recovery mode, use Volume keys to navigate up and down between options and Power button to select an option.
Step-2: Make a Nandroid Backup from the recovery. It is important, in case something goes wrong you can restore to the current status. To perform Nandroid Backup, go to Backup and Restore>> Backup
Step-3: Perform a Factory Reset (This will delete all apps and their settings and game progress). Select Wipe data/ Factory reset then select Yes on the next screen to confirm the action.
Step-4: Also perform System Format by navigating to Mount and Storage, select format/system then select Yes on the next screen to confirm the action
Step-5: In recovery mode, select Install zip>> Choose zip from sdcard (or external sdcard, where the files are saved). Then browse to the location where Android 4.4.1 KitKat CM11 ROM is saved. Select the ROM file and confirm installation
Step-6: After the ROM is installed, repeat the similar process to flash the Gapps file
Step-7: When the installation process is completed, return to the main recovery menu and reboot the phone by selecting Reboot system now
Note: If the device gets bootloop (gets stuck at logo while rebooting), perform a factory reset.
The Galaxy Grand Duos should now be updated with Android 4.4.1 Kitkat with CM11 custom firmware. Navigate to Settings>>About phone to verify the new software version of the Galaxy handset.
Must read: Update Galaxy S3 LTE to Official I9305XXUEMKC Android 4.3 Jelly Bean [How To]
[Source: Android Soul]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail: