Tata Motors Cheapest Export-based Bet in Sensex Stocks
December 14, 2013 2:45 PM EST
Tata Motors (TAMO.NS) emerges as the cheapest export-oriented stock based on 12-month forward earnings among Sensex constituents, analysts say, mainly due to increasing contribution in revenues and profits from its unit Jaguar Land Rover Ltd (JLR).
Tata Motors is also the second least expensive stock in the benchmark index, based on 12-month forward earnings, after new entrant Sesa Sterlite (SESA.NS), despite outperforming Sensex by a wide margin in 2013.
Tata Motors rose 15.3 percent in 2013 compared to the BSE index return of 7.72 percent in the same period, as of Thursday's close.
Tata Motors is trading at 8.38 times its 12-month forward earnings, just slightly higher than the 8.24 times for Sesa Sterlite, which is currently the cheapest stock in the Sensex, Thomson Reuters data shows.
However, some point out its better to value Tata Motors on enterprise value/operating profit or sum-of-the-parts method given losses in domestic business, forex fluctuations and tax treatment by the company.
Tata Motors shares were up 2 percent on value buying after falling 8.4 percent over the previous three sessions on worries about higher than expected capex at unit JLR.
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- #Snapgate: iPad Air 2 Breaks While Undergoing Bend Test
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS