'Grey's Anatomy' Season 10 Mid-Season Finale Review: Jackson and April as the New Mark Sloan and Lexie Grey? [SPOILERS]
By Arlene Paredes | December 14, 2013 1:26 AM EST
Two season finales are threaded into the mid-season finale of ABC's "Grey's Anatomy" Season 10. Episode 12 is not only about April's wedding. But fans wonder: Is the episode title "Get Up, Stand Up" the new "Speak now, or forever hold your peace?"
Spoiler alert: This review recaps the highlights of Grey's Anatomy Season 10, Episode 12 (Get Up, Stand Up). No Bob Marley song in the episode. Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse of the Heart" punctuates the mid-season finale of this Shonda Rhimes show.
If there is one Grey's Anatomy Season 10 ship that can honour Mark Sloan and Lexie Grey, it's Japril. Before his death, Sloan tells Avery how to say I love you. "Say it loud, and go from there."
The plane crash and the super storm are subtly woven into Grey's Anatomy Season 10, Episode 12. Sloan and Lexie Grey may have lost their chance at a wedding, but they did teach someone how to stop a wedding to say "I love you" the right way. (A Shondaland wink?) In the Season 9 finale, Jackson risked his life to save a child, unwittingly making April realise just how much he meant to her.
The "Get Up, Stand Up" plots, though predictable, are still able to delight the avid fans with some treats and details. For instance, it's sweet that Owen Hunt and April had a moment right before the wedding. It's like Webber and Bailey, younger version.
In the last five minutes of Grey's Anatomy Season 10, Episode 12, Shane crashed and burned. He's been self-sabotaging a while, but only now was he exposed - and to Chief Webber, no less. Meanwhile, Derek Shepherd gets a call from the U.S. president. (MerDer conflict coming up!) Oh, and of course, Jackson stopped the Mapril wedding. Or at least he's in the middle of an attempt at making April "turn around." (Killer cliffhangers!)
The 'Total Eclipse' music may have been a bit too dramatic and sappy for the already mushy wedding interruption scene. But somehow, the writers made it work.
"Turn around, bright eyes." Shane and April are hyper bright-eyed parallels. They have to turn around to see where they're really going. But someone had to make them turn. It's Chief Webber for Shane. Jackson for April.
"Never give up," Meredith Grey tells the Japril shippers on voice-over.
Just after Mer's voice-over says, "Stand up," Jackson rises from his seat. The pastor is mid-sentence in saying how happy he is to be officiating the wedding. But he's cut-off by Jackson's unexpected movement. No one was being asked to stand up. No "speak now or forever hold your peace." Seemingly lost, Jackson returns to his seat.
Matthew looks like he knew this was coming, but he's being calm. April is stunned. Still, things proceed like normal -- for under five seconds!
Jackson gets up again. This time, he says three little words the way his mentor Mark Sloan taught him -- "Say it loud and go from there."
It was reported that fans must watch closely the last five minutes of Grey's Anatomy 10x12. It will usher in big changes in Grey's Anatomy Season 10. Those five minutes exclude Arizona Robbins opening up to April about the root of her adulterous act in the super storm finale. Meredith and Cristina finally reconciling happened before that window, as well. Alex Karev melting Jolex fans' hearts with his almost-like-a-proposal to Jo Wilson was also a couple of minutes away.
In other words, Grey's Anatomy Season 10, Episode 12 is loaded with Shondaland spices and flavours. Everything's just rich enough to last in Grey's junkies' mind until the show makes its winter premiere (10x13) in 2014.
More 'Grey's Anatomy' Season 10 and TV Guide Spoilers, Features:
'Grey's Anatomy' Season 10, Episode 12, 'Get Up, Stand Up' Spoilers: Watch Japril in Promo, 'A Hell of Tension,' Ellen Pompeo Hates Mystery Cliffhanger? [WATCH]
'Glee' Season 5, Episode 9, 'Frenemies' Spoilers, Song List: Will Dianna Agron Return as Quinn Fabray in 100th Episode? [WATCH]
Revenge Season 3 Spoilers: Who Shoots Emily Thorne On Her Wedding Day? [WATCH]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports