White Widow Samantha Lewthwaite Linked to Kenya Grenade Attack
By Ewan Palmer | December 13, 2013 9:10 PM EST
Terror suspect Samantha Lewthwaite has been linked with the failed grenade attack on British tourists in Kenya.
The Muslim convert, dubbed the White Widow, is accused of ordering the attack on the tourists who were travelling to a wildlife safari at the Masai Mara national park.
The grenade failed to detonate when it hit the window of the Toyota 4X4. It is believed to have been thrown by a man, who later fled the scene.
The grenade was later safely detonated. The Foreign Office said it was urgently looking into the reports.
Lewthwaite, 29, who is already accused of plotting to kill hundreds of British tourists in Mombasa with fellow British accomplice Jermaine Grant in a separate attack, has now been linked to the incident.
"She is being hunted on multiple terror charges and we know her links to al-Shabaab fanatics spread through Africa.
"This was a deliberate attempt to kill tourists and has all the hallmarks of a White Widow-instigated operation."
Kenya has seen a number of grenade attacks since 2011, when it invaded southern Somalia to try and oust al-Shabaab insurgents.
Lewthwaite, originally from Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, was named the most wanted woman in the world after being linked to the Westgate shopping massacre in Nairobi in which 70 people were killed.
A grenade attack in Kenya which killed three football fans who were watching the Italy vs England Euro 2012 game has also been linked to Lewthwaite.
The widow of 7/7 Kings Cross bomber Germaine Lindsay, Lewthwaite was arrested with her accomplice Grant in 2011 but escaped along with her three children. She has been on the run in Africa ever since. She is currently believed to be hiding in Somalia.
Following the grenade attack, Mombasa police say they have strengthened security in the area.
Mombasa's police chief Robert Kitur said: "We are appealing to everybody to exercise caution, especially over this festive season, and to share information with security agencies to win the war on terror.
"We have intensified security at tourist hotels and other vital installations to avert terrorism attacks."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Risky Selfies That Were Taken A Few Seconds Before Tragedy Struck
- ISIS Update: Executioner of James Foley with British Accent Identified as ‘John’
- Viral Video Missouri Mall: Back-To-School Promo Of East Hills Mall In Missouri Goes Viral As Terrible Mall Ad [WATCH VIDEO]
- New Zealand Accelerates Ban on Shark Finning
- Woman Posts Ad for Herself As 'Professional Bridesmaid' On Craigslist
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence