Forbes Magazine’s Top 10 Highest-Paid Women in Music 2013 Including Madonna, Lady Gaga and Taylor Swift [PHOTOS]
By Janice Somosot | December 13, 2013 2:42 PM EST
Forbes Magazine's Top 10 Highest-Paid Women in Music 2013 was just unveiled and the list of female musicians and artists including Madonna, Lady Gaga and Taylor Swift (Top 3) is very impressive! Madonna not only topped the list of the Top 10 Highest-Paid Women in Music 2013, but she also topped Forbes Magazine's annual list of the Highest-Paid Musicians in 2013 (both male and female artists) by earning $125 million in 2012 and $305 million from her MDNA Tour.
According to Forbes, Lady Gaga is Top 2, earning $80 million dollars, with her tour reportedly grossing $168 million.
Meanwhile, Taylor Swift, who celebrates her 24th birthday on Friday, Dec. 13, 2013, is the Top 3 Highest-Paid Woman in Music 2013 with $55 million earnings thanks to her successful records and endorsement deals from various top brands.
Check out the other women who made Forbes Magazine's Top 10 Highest-Paid Women in Music 2013 list below.
Top 10 Highest-Paid Women in Music 2013 (Source: Forbes Magazine):
1. Madonna ($125 million)
Aside from her very successful MDNA Tour ($305 million gross), the material girl proves she's still got it after all these years with her impressive concert merchandise sales, her fragrance called Truth or Dare and her clothing line, which is aptly named Material Girl, a nod to her famous moniker.
2. Lady Gaga ($80 million)
Often compared to Madonna for her similar shocking ways, Lady Gaga is Top 2 in 2013. Even if her "ARTPOP" album sales was not included in Forbes' scoring period for 2013 because it was released later this year, she still managed to make enough money to merit being the title of the second Highest-Paid Woman in Music 2013. Her tour alone grossed $168 million! It looks like the Queen Monster and her little monsters will be rejoicing with a great victory party.
3. Taylor Swift ($55 million)
The youngest woman among the Top 10 at 23 years old (about to be 24 in the U.S.), she is already doing so well at such a young age. She already has four successful studio albums, including her latest one "Red," which has sold 1.2 million copies since it debuted in October 2012. Her tours on the road also add to the heft of her earnings. Plus, she is an in-demand product endorser with multi-million dollar deals for brands such as Sony, Covergirl and Diet Coke.
4. Beyoncé ($53 million)
Beyoncé has beaten her husband Mr. Carter, who is more popularly known as rapper Jay Z, by earning over $2 million in every city she plays in. She also has a lot of old hits as a solo artist and as part of the successful Destiny's Child group. In addition to her earnings from her musical career, she also gets her millions from endorsement deals with H&M and Pepsi, not to mention her clothing line House of Dereon.
5. Jennifer Lopez ($45 million)
JLo earns her millions from her successful world tour that amounts to over $1 million per night. She earned a total of $52 million in 2012. She also had a $12 million salary from "American Idol," because she used to be a judge in the singing competition. She is poised to earn more in 2014 because she is back in the judges' seat of "American Idol," (AI) with a reportedly higher salary than before. Lopez also snagged a starring role in Q'Viva, a Latin song competition for Fox.
6. Rihanna ($43 million)
Thanks to Riri's successful shows and albums, including her newest one titled "Unapologetic," which is her seventh album in seven years, she shone bright like a diamond with her million dollar earnings. Riri is probably toasting to Vita Coco, which she also endorses, to celebrate her success.
7. Katy Perry ($39 million)
In the Little Monsters of Lady Gaga vs. Katy Cats of Katy Perry battle, it looks like Lady Gaga won in terms of being paid well. While Lady Gaga is in Top 2, Katy is only on the seventh spot. It's probably because her successful new album "PRISM" wasn't included in Forbes' tally. But, Katy Cats can still roar because Katy earned a lot for her private gigs. She also has a deal with Popchips wherein she holds an equity stake. And, her fragrances with Coty, including Katy Perry Purr, Meow and Killer Queen are well-loved.
8. Pink ($32 million)
Pink's hit singles including "Blow Me (One Last Kiss)" "Just Give Me A Reason" from her "The Truth About Love" 2012 helped her become part of the Top 10 Highest-Paid Women in Music for 2013. Plus, like the others in the list, her tour has grossed millions, amounting to over $2 million per city!
9. Carrie Underwood ($31 million)
Underwood has proven that she is not a one-hit wonder and a flash-in-the-pan "American Idol" winner because she is still around since winning the AI contest in 2005. She is still spewing out hit albums and singles and earning numerous awards and recognitions for her talent. Thanks to her newest album, "Blown Away," she has blown away her contemporaries because it went platinum, further earning her more millions. And, she has played in over 100 shows which were included in Forbes' tallies.
10. Mariah Carey ($29 million, tie)
Thanks to "American Idol," Mimi has earned $18 million just to be a judge of the famous singing competition. She also used her AI gig to promote her new songs and earn more in the process due to successful record sales. Like the other female musicians in the list, she augments her income through business deals including perfume and other Mariah Carey merchandise.
10. Nicki Minaj ($29 million, tie)
Minaj is notably the only woman among the top hip-hop earners, which are dominated by male artists. Even if she only earned $12 million as an "American Idol" judge, compared to Carey's $18 million, she still ended up in a tie with Carey on the tenth spot. Thanks to Nicki's steady music sales, endorsement deals, which include MAC, and heavy touring to promote her singles and albums, she was able to catch up and match Mariah Carey's earnings.
The Forbes Magazine Top 10 Highest-Paid Women in Music 2013 including Madonna, Lady Gaga and Taylor Swift is really an inspiring list for all the women out there who want to be successful. It shows that women can match or sometimes even beat men in terms of earning money. Back in the days, men always out-earned women, but now, things have definitely changed, which gives hope for all the women out there that if you work hard for your goals, you will succeed, just like the women in Forbes' list. But, it also helps if you have a musical talent and business smarts added to the formula.
- READ MORE:
Madonna is Forbes' Highest Paid Musician Earning $125 Million Last Year (Click HERE)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Will Name Second Child Diana, Camilla Parker-Bowles Not Invited to Prince George’s Birthday - Reports
- Beyonce & Jay Z Fail to Squash Divorce & Cheating Allegations, Couple Barely Speaking on Tour
- Kate Middleton Loses Second Child, Duchess Suffered Miscarriage Before Pregnancy Claims Went Viral – Reports
- Kanye West Abandons Kim Kardashian after 58 Days of Marriage – Reports
- Ian Somerhalder and Nina Dobrev Drama: Heartbroken The Vampire Diaries Actress Reacts to Nikki Reed Dating News—Report
- Google Nexus 6 Speculations Now Include Price: Five Fresh Features to Unpack on New Android Smart Phone in October/November Release Date
- Apple's iPhone 6 vs. Xiaomi Mi 4: Specifications, Features and Prices
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Delayed Galaxy Note 4 Release Date, Plastic-Wrapped Galaxy Alpha Likely as Samsung Internal Quarrel Intensifies – Reports
- HTC One E8 (Plastic Variant of HTC One M8) with 5-Inch Display, Dual-SIM, 801 Processor and 2 GB RAM to Hit New Markets Soon
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- A Florida Widow Wins $23.6 Billion Lawsuit Against Tobacco Company