Richard Wygand's Samsung Galaxy S4 after it caught fire while charging overnight. (Richard Wygand - Facebook)
Richard Wygand, YouTube user ghostlyrich, recently uploaded a video of his Samsung Galaxy S4 catching fire. The video showed the damage the Samsung Galaxy S4 received when it suddenly bursted into flames while charging with what the user claimed to be an original Samsung charger. Although the phone did not explode, its charging port was supposedly burnt out.
The user said that he was charging the phone the night before when he suddenly smelled smoke and saw that the handset was burning. The Galaxy S4 bubbled a little on the charging port. The video caught the attention of Internet users after it went viral through Reddit last week.
The user's unit was under warranty and immediately went on the process of getting a replacement. However, Samsung customer care sent him a letter saying that the company will provide a replacement only if the user takes down the video from YouTube.
Samsung's letter to Mr Wygand has been published on the Net and can be read on PasteBin. ghostlyrich also posted a new video discussing Samsung's takedown request.
Mr Wyngand seemed very disappointed and displeased with Samsung's letter and warned consumers planning to buy a Galaxy S4. "I'm making this aware to any people who are thinking about buying an S4 or have an S4. Be careful with them ... This is really sketchy ... I was a Samsung fan until I read this letter," he said.
The matter reached the ears of Nokia and boldly offered Mr. Wygand a replacement without the need to remove the video. In its tweet, Nokia USA said, ".@ghostlyrich we want to help you out. Let me send you a Nokia Lumia so you can experience how customer service should *really* work."
It is still unconfirmed whether Mr Wygand took the offer, but he has not taken down the video yet. He also posted HD photos of the burnt Galaxy S4 in his Facebook page.
Watch the video of the burning Samsung Galaxy S4 below: