Tennis’ Best Rafael Nadal Beats Poker’s Top Player Daniel Negreanu, Wins €50K for Charity
By James Patrick Quizon | December 13, 2013 1:48 PM EST
Rafael Nadal, the best tennis player today, came out on top of the European Poker Tour (EPT) Charity Challenge on Thursday, beating other sports celebrities, including poker’s world number one Daniel Negreanu.
Known more for his relentless play on clay, Nadal turned up the heat on the felt to win the top prize of €50,000, just part of the total prize pool of €100,000, all of which are going to different charities as well.
Negreanu, considered the top player in poker, was joined in the bust-out list by other runners who were also once upon a time tops in their respective sports; Ronaldo (football) and Andriy Shevchenko (football), Alberto Tomba (skiing) and Fatima Moreira de Melo (field hockey).
"I played for the first time in a live poker tournament and it was a big honour to play against a lot of stars around me, some in sports and other ones in poker. I had fun and I enjoyed it, and I felt a little bit lucky that I finally won," said Nadal in the official press release from the organisers.
"Nadal played a solid game and he didn't make any mistakes. He knew when to make adjustments, to play more aggressively and he did. It was good fun, and the bottom line is that everybody wins, because all the prize money is going to good causes," shared Negreanu of the performance of Nadal, who just took up the game of poker roughly 18 months ago.
The Spaniard will donate the champion’s purse to The Good Hand Project, a charity which helps young people get back into work.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan