Tennis’ Best Rafael Nadal Beats Poker’s Top Player Daniel Negreanu, Wins €50K for Charity
By James Patrick Quizon | December 13, 2013 1:48 PM EST
Rafael Nadal, the best tennis player today, came out on top of the European Poker Tour (EPT) Charity Challenge on Thursday, beating other sports celebrities, including poker’s world number one Daniel Negreanu.
Known more for his relentless play on clay, Nadal turned up the heat on the felt to win the top prize of €50,000, just part of the total prize pool of €100,000, all of which are going to different charities as well.
Negreanu, considered the top player in poker, was joined in the bust-out list by other runners who were also once upon a time tops in their respective sports; Ronaldo (football) and Andriy Shevchenko (football), Alberto Tomba (skiing) and Fatima Moreira de Melo (field hockey).
"I played for the first time in a live poker tournament and it was a big honour to play against a lot of stars around me, some in sports and other ones in poker. I had fun and I enjoyed it, and I felt a little bit lucky that I finally won," said Nadal in the official press release from the organisers.
"Nadal played a solid game and he didn't make any mistakes. He knew when to make adjustments, to play more aggressively and he did. It was good fun, and the bottom line is that everybody wins, because all the prize money is going to good causes," shared Negreanu of the performance of Nadal, who just took up the game of poker roughly 18 months ago.
The Spaniard will donate the champion’s purse to The Good Hand Project, a charity which helps young people get back into work.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- WWE News: CM Punk Merchandise Pulled From Stands, Punk Chasing Royalties For WWE 2K15 Inclusion [VIDEO]
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4