Tennis’ Best Rafael Nadal Beats Poker’s Top Player Daniel Negreanu, Wins €50K for Charity
By James Patrick Quizon | December 13, 2013 1:48 PM EST
Rafael Nadal, the best tennis player today, came out on top of the European Poker Tour (EPT) Charity Challenge on Thursday, beating other sports celebrities, including poker’s world number one Daniel Negreanu.
Known more for his relentless play on clay, Nadal turned up the heat on the felt to win the top prize of €50,000, just part of the total prize pool of €100,000, all of which are going to different charities as well.
Negreanu, considered the top player in poker, was joined in the bust-out list by other runners who were also once upon a time tops in their respective sports; Ronaldo (football) and Andriy Shevchenko (football), Alberto Tomba (skiing) and Fatima Moreira de Melo (field hockey).
"I played for the first time in a live poker tournament and it was a big honour to play against a lot of stars around me, some in sports and other ones in poker. I had fun and I enjoyed it, and I felt a little bit lucky that I finally won," said Nadal in the official press release from the organisers.
"Nadal played a solid game and he didn't make any mistakes. He knew when to make adjustments, to play more aggressively and he did. It was good fun, and the bottom line is that everybody wins, because all the prize money is going to good causes," shared Negreanu of the performance of Nadal, who just took up the game of poker roughly 18 months ago.
The Spaniard will donate the champion’s purse to The Good Hand Project, a charity which helps young people get back into work.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Blows Out Novak Djokovic as Top Contender For US Open Series – Tennis TV Poll
- Roger Federer Brings Danger To Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal at US Open
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- Serena Williams Makes History; Among Most Dominant World's No.1 in History
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide