Manny Pacquiao Next Fight: Floyd Mayweather Jr. Now Open To Fight Pacman; Showdown Could Happen in 2014
By Lou Ramon Aguila | December 13, 2013 1:45 PM EST
Floyd Mayweather Jr. has not ruled out the possibility of fighting eight-division world champion Manny Pacquiao in the future. In fact, the reigning pound-for-pound king seems open to slug it out with the Pacman in his upcoming fight on May 3.
In an interesting turn of events, the long-due Mayweather vs. Pacquiao showdown has once again been revived, following an intriguing comment by Money May during a recent interview with veteran Boxing writer Chris Robinson.
"My focus is May 3rd. I don't know who my opponent will be," Mayweather told Robinson. "If it's Pacquiao, it's Pacquiao. If it's Amir Khan, it's Amir Khan. For 17 years they've been putting guys in front of me, and I've been beating them. Come May they'll put a guy in front of me, I'll go to training camp, work hard, and the results will be the same."
Mayweather, who had refused to entertain talks about Pacquiao as his next opponent moreso after the Saranggani congressman absorbed a brutal sixth-round knockout loss at the hands of Juan Manuel Marquez a year ago, surprisingly mentioned Pacquiao as a potential foe for his Cinco de Mayo bout other than Amir Khan.
Although many analysts still believed it will still be the Briton who will get Mayweather's nod, the simple gesture of putting Pacquiao in the conversation as one of his possible opponent could be an indication that the American is now ready to settle his score with the Filipino champ.
After collecting more than $100 million in his first pay-per-view bouts with Showtime this year, Mayweather might have realised that he's now running out of legitimate opponents.
Khan, despite being a two-division world champion, doesn't even bring the credence of an elite-level fighter, though he commands a pretty good fan base in the United Kingdom. After that, the talent level among Golden Boy Promotions welterweights becomes shallower with Danny Garcia the only remaining fighter ready to take the spotlight with Money May.
Pacquiao vs. Mayweather set to happen soon?
After several failed negotiations, the Pacquiao vs. Mayweather may finally come to reality, probably in the second half of 2014.In an attempt to become the greatest ever, at least in this era, Mayweather has to squash an iota of a doubt surrounding his boxing career, and the best way to do it is to beat Pacquiao convincingly.
Of course, Mayweather fans insisted their man has nothing to prove against an already 'declining' Pacquiao, but again, there's nothing more vindicated than to defeat the next challenger to the throne in a fair and square fight.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- Muslim NFL Player Husain Abdullah Penalised For Praying After Touchdown
- Ronda Rousey Puts Up Her Belongings For Auction
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks