Manny Pacquiao Next Fight: Floyd Mayweather Jr. Now Open To Fight Pacman; Showdown Could Happen in 2014
By Lou Ramon Aguila | December 13, 2013 1:45 PM EST
Floyd Mayweather Jr. has not ruled out the possibility of fighting eight-division world champion Manny Pacquiao in the future. In fact, the reigning pound-for-pound king seems open to slug it out with the Pacman in his upcoming fight on May 3.
In an interesting turn of events, the long-due Mayweather vs. Pacquiao showdown has once again been revived, following an intriguing comment by Money May during a recent interview with veteran Boxing writer Chris Robinson.
"My focus is May 3rd. I don't know who my opponent will be," Mayweather told Robinson. "If it's Pacquiao, it's Pacquiao. If it's Amir Khan, it's Amir Khan. For 17 years they've been putting guys in front of me, and I've been beating them. Come May they'll put a guy in front of me, I'll go to training camp, work hard, and the results will be the same."
Mayweather, who had refused to entertain talks about Pacquiao as his next opponent moreso after the Saranggani congressman absorbed a brutal sixth-round knockout loss at the hands of Juan Manuel Marquez a year ago, surprisingly mentioned Pacquiao as a potential foe for his Cinco de Mayo bout other than Amir Khan.
Although many analysts still believed it will still be the Briton who will get Mayweather's nod, the simple gesture of putting Pacquiao in the conversation as one of his possible opponent could be an indication that the American is now ready to settle his score with the Filipino champ.
After collecting more than $100 million in his first pay-per-view bouts with Showtime this year, Mayweather might have realised that he's now running out of legitimate opponents.
Khan, despite being a two-division world champion, doesn't even bring the credence of an elite-level fighter, though he commands a pretty good fan base in the United Kingdom. After that, the talent level among Golden Boy Promotions welterweights becomes shallower with Danny Garcia the only remaining fighter ready to take the spotlight with Money May.
Pacquiao vs. Mayweather set to happen soon?
After several failed negotiations, the Pacquiao vs. Mayweather may finally come to reality, probably in the second half of 2014.In an attempt to become the greatest ever, at least in this era, Mayweather has to squash an iota of a doubt surrounding his boxing career, and the best way to do it is to beat Pacquiao convincingly.
Of course, Mayweather fans insisted their man has nothing to prove against an already 'declining' Pacquiao, but again, there's nothing more vindicated than to defeat the next challenger to the throne in a fair and square fight.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- Dallas Mavericks Owner Mark Cuban Wants The Los Angeles Lakers To ‘Suck Forever’
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Exit For Messi Is Possible - Tata Martino
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports
- Xiaomi to Kill Redmi 1S for More Redmi Notes