Manny Pacquiao Next Fight: Floyd Mayweather Jr. Now Open To Fight Pacman; Showdown Could Happen in 2014
By Lou Ramon Aguila | December 13, 2013 1:45 PM EST
Floyd Mayweather Jr. has not ruled out the possibility of fighting eight-division world champion Manny Pacquiao in the future. In fact, the reigning pound-for-pound king seems open to slug it out with the Pacman in his upcoming fight on May 3.
In an interesting turn of events, the long-due Mayweather vs. Pacquiao showdown has once again been revived, following an intriguing comment by Money May during a recent interview with veteran Boxing writer Chris Robinson.
"My focus is May 3rd. I don't know who my opponent will be," Mayweather told Robinson. "If it's Pacquiao, it's Pacquiao. If it's Amir Khan, it's Amir Khan. For 17 years they've been putting guys in front of me, and I've been beating them. Come May they'll put a guy in front of me, I'll go to training camp, work hard, and the results will be the same."
Mayweather, who had refused to entertain talks about Pacquiao as his next opponent moreso after the Saranggani congressman absorbed a brutal sixth-round knockout loss at the hands of Juan Manuel Marquez a year ago, surprisingly mentioned Pacquiao as a potential foe for his Cinco de Mayo bout other than Amir Khan.
Although many analysts still believed it will still be the Briton who will get Mayweather's nod, the simple gesture of putting Pacquiao in the conversation as one of his possible opponent could be an indication that the American is now ready to settle his score with the Filipino champ.
After collecting more than $100 million in his first pay-per-view bouts with Showtime this year, Mayweather might have realised that he's now running out of legitimate opponents.
Khan, despite being a two-division world champion, doesn't even bring the credence of an elite-level fighter, though he commands a pretty good fan base in the United Kingdom. After that, the talent level among Golden Boy Promotions welterweights becomes shallower with Danny Garcia the only remaining fighter ready to take the spotlight with Money May.
Pacquiao vs. Mayweather set to happen soon?
After several failed negotiations, the Pacquiao vs. Mayweather may finally come to reality, probably in the second half of 2014.In an attempt to become the greatest ever, at least in this era, Mayweather has to squash an iota of a doubt surrounding his boxing career, and the best way to do it is to beat Pacquiao convincingly.
Of course, Mayweather fans insisted their man has nothing to prove against an already 'declining' Pacquiao, but again, there's nothing more vindicated than to defeat the next challenger to the throne in a fair and square fight.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]