Manny Pacquiao Next Fight: Floyd Mayweather Jr. Now Open To Fight Pacman; Showdown Could Happen in 2014
By Lou Ramon Aguila | December 13, 2013 1:45 PM EST
Floyd Mayweather Jr. has not ruled out the possibility of fighting eight-division world champion Manny Pacquiao in the future. In fact, the reigning pound-for-pound king seems open to slug it out with the Pacman in his upcoming fight on May 3.
In an interesting turn of events, the long-due Mayweather vs. Pacquiao showdown has once again been revived, following an intriguing comment by Money May during a recent interview with veteran Boxing writer Chris Robinson.
"My focus is May 3rd. I don't know who my opponent will be," Mayweather told Robinson. "If it's Pacquiao, it's Pacquiao. If it's Amir Khan, it's Amir Khan. For 17 years they've been putting guys in front of me, and I've been beating them. Come May they'll put a guy in front of me, I'll go to training camp, work hard, and the results will be the same."
Mayweather, who had refused to entertain talks about Pacquiao as his next opponent moreso after the Saranggani congressman absorbed a brutal sixth-round knockout loss at the hands of Juan Manuel Marquez a year ago, surprisingly mentioned Pacquiao as a potential foe for his Cinco de Mayo bout other than Amir Khan.
Although many analysts still believed it will still be the Briton who will get Mayweather's nod, the simple gesture of putting Pacquiao in the conversation as one of his possible opponent could be an indication that the American is now ready to settle his score with the Filipino champ.
After collecting more than $100 million in his first pay-per-view bouts with Showtime this year, Mayweather might have realised that he's now running out of legitimate opponents.
Khan, despite being a two-division world champion, doesn't even bring the credence of an elite-level fighter, though he commands a pretty good fan base in the United Kingdom. After that, the talent level among Golden Boy Promotions welterweights becomes shallower with Danny Garcia the only remaining fighter ready to take the spotlight with Money May.
Pacquiao vs. Mayweather set to happen soon?
After several failed negotiations, the Pacquiao vs. Mayweather may finally come to reality, probably in the second half of 2014.In an attempt to become the greatest ever, at least in this era, Mayweather has to squash an iota of a doubt surrounding his boxing career, and the best way to do it is to beat Pacquiao convincingly.
Of course, Mayweather fans insisted their man has nothing to prove against an already 'declining' Pacquiao, but again, there's nothing more vindicated than to defeat the next challenger to the throne in a fair and square fight.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Miranda Kerr Broke Her Silence: Not Pregnant With James Packard’s Baby [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Top 10 Highest Paid Tennis Players
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Dallas Cowboys Have Worst Linebackers in History, Tony Romo To Miss Games Again – Gerry Fraley
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Google Works on Powering Up Chromebook Line to Kill Competitors, Nvidia Joins with Acer for New Killer Laptop