CBA Customers With Smart Galaxy S4 Phones Could Now Use Bank’s Tap-and-Go Function, Beating Westpac Which Plans Similar App in 2014
By Vittorio Hernandez | December 13, 2013 10:14 AM EST
The Commonwealth Bank of Australia (CBA) rolled out on Thursday its tap-and-go service for mobile phone that would deliver users a next-generation shopping experience and makes paying for everyday goods and services simpler, making signatures or PINs unnecessary.
The service, which CBA claims it is the first lender to offer it, would allow owners of Samsung Galaxy S4 phones to make secure and contactless payments at over 200,000 terminals across the country and 1.6 million merchant locations globally, using MasterCard's PayPass near-field communications (NFC) technology, by just touching their smartphone the terminals.
With the Thursday launch, CBA beat fellow Aussie bank Westpac which plans to introduce a similar app in 2014. Like CBA's tap-and-go service, Westpac's version would benefit Android smartphone owners only since the Cupertino-based tech giant excluded NFC technology on its latest iPhone models.
ANZ Bank is likewise testing a tap-and-go mobile app.
The tap-and-go system is an improvement from CBA's previous app that allowed iPhone owners to make payments using its Kaching app, which needs a third-party case that costs A$54.95 and works only on iPhone 4 and 4S models.
The iOS version of the app will be available by the end of January 2014. To work, it would rely on A$2.95 PayTags that uses a sticker to replicate PayPass technology found in credit cards and addresses problems of certain models of smartphones that don't have or has unsuitable NFC hardware, which is not the case for Android-OS powered devices.
However, only S4 that are of the GT-19505 (LTE) and GTE-19507 (Plus) variants support the native NFC payments. The GT-19295 (Active) variant is not supported, but the GT-19506 (LTE-A) would eventually be supported in 2014 with the release on an update to the model's software.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- Sydney Software Firm Bigcommerce Teams Up With Alibaba To Beat Amazon
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’