‘Orange is the New Black’ Season 2: Deeper Exploration of Amazing Orange Women; Gets SAG Snub
By Anshu Shrivastava | December 12, 2013 3:30 PM EST
Netflix's original drama-comedy, "Orange is the New Black," has been one of the hot shows of 2013. The first season of "Orange is the New Black," which premiered on July 11, 2013, won both audience attention and critical appreciation. However, it looks like audience appreciation and critics' praise do not translate into awards.
On Wednesday morning, the Screen Actors Guild (SAG) announced the nominations for the 20th Annual SAG. "Orange is the New Black" is one of the glaring omissions. The Golden Globes 2014 Nominations, to be announced on Thursday, might correct the snub delivered by SAG.
Created by Jenji Kohan, "Orange is the New Black" is based on Piper Kerman's memoir of the same name. The first season mainly revolved around the principal character of Piper Chapman, played by Taylor Schilling. Kohan had indicated that the content of the upcoming, new season will be more "ensemble" in character. The focus will be on all the characters and not just on Piper and Alex Vause (Laura Prepon).
Actress Constance Shulman, who plays the character of Yoga Jones, said to The Wall Street Journal, that the second season will go deeper in exploring the women characters that they were introduced in Season 1 of "Orange is the New Black."
The second season will have a "deeper exploration of the amazing women we were introduced to in season one. The show has a wide array of characters to become invested in. ...Yoga Jones is just a piece of the very large, elaborate mosaic," Constance said.
"As much as I love Piper and Taylor and her journey, I think people are interested in everybody's journey," Jenji had said as quoted by TV Guide.
The filming on the second season is still going on. "Orange is the New Black" season 2 promises to provide richer content compared to season 2.
In a statement, Reed Hastings, CEO at Netflix, and David Wells, CFO at Netflix has said that "Orange Is the New Black will end the year as "our most-watched original series ever and, as with each of our other previously launched originals, enjoys an audience comparable with successful shows on cable and broadcast TV."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘Star Wars 7: The Force Awakens’ Leaked Dialogue Of Han Solo From Upcoming Trailer [Spoilers]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks