‘Orange is the New Black’ Season 2: Deeper Exploration of Amazing Orange Women; Gets SAG Snub
By Anshu Shrivastava | December 12, 2013 3:30 PM EST
Netflix's original drama-comedy, "Orange is the New Black," has been one of the hot shows of 2013. The first season of "Orange is the New Black," which premiered on July 11, 2013, won both audience attention and critical appreciation. However, it looks like audience appreciation and critics' praise do not translate into awards.
On Wednesday morning, the Screen Actors Guild (SAG) announced the nominations for the 20th Annual SAG. "Orange is the New Black" is one of the glaring omissions. The Golden Globes 2014 Nominations, to be announced on Thursday, might correct the snub delivered by SAG.
Created by Jenji Kohan, "Orange is the New Black" is based on Piper Kerman's memoir of the same name. The first season mainly revolved around the principal character of Piper Chapman, played by Taylor Schilling. Kohan had indicated that the content of the upcoming, new season will be more "ensemble" in character. The focus will be on all the characters and not just on Piper and Alex Vause (Laura Prepon).
Actress Constance Shulman, who plays the character of Yoga Jones, said to The Wall Street Journal, that the second season will go deeper in exploring the women characters that they were introduced in Season 1 of "Orange is the New Black."
The second season will have a "deeper exploration of the amazing women we were introduced to in season one. The show has a wide array of characters to become invested in. ...Yoga Jones is just a piece of the very large, elaborate mosaic," Constance said.
"As much as I love Piper and Taylor and her journey, I think people are interested in everybody's journey," Jenji had said as quoted by TV Guide.
The filming on the second season is still going on. "Orange is the New Black" season 2 promises to provide richer content compared to season 2.
In a statement, Reed Hastings, CEO at Netflix, and David Wells, CFO at Netflix has said that "Orange Is the New Black will end the year as "our most-watched original series ever and, as with each of our other previously launched originals, enjoys an audience comparable with successful shows on cable and broadcast TV."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Finale Performance Episode Recap, Spoilers: 6 Finalists Perform Their Last Acts To Win Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Skyler Samuels Roped In To Play Pivotal Role, Extended Teaser Released [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson And FKA Twigs Romance: Singer’s Twitter Post Sparks Pregnancy Reports Speculating The Couple Is Expecting Their First Baby
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2 Preview: Sam’s Fairy Tale Date, Belly Dancing Time, Who Exits
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone