New Zealand Passes Modernized Royal Succession Law
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | December 12, 2013 2:55 PM EST
The parliament of New Zealand on Wednesday has modernized its royal succession law, thus finally allowing a Queen to become the country's head of state.
Passed on the third and final reading, the Royal Succession Bill effects to institute developments initially agreed by the 16 realms in 2011, who all share the Queen as head of state.
Under the revised and modernized law, the order of succession would no longer be based on gender and exclusive only to male heirs. The new bill allows an elder daughter to precede a younger son as heir to the throne. The revised and modernized law applies to children throne successors born after Oct 28, 2011. Prince George of Cambridge, who was born earlier this year, is likewise included and eligible under the law.
The new law also enables an heir married to a Roman Catholic to accede to the throne. The changes would be enforced simultaneously with the other realms. A date has yet to be agreed upon. The current queen is the elder of two daughters and had no brothers when she succeeded to the throne.
Chloe Oldfield, Vice chair of Monarchy New Zealand, welcome the passage of the bill, noting women also deserve to be heirs to the throne, and should be given equal rights in succession to the throne. She told Radio New Zealand the bill cuts out discrimination against women.
"These changes are positive for New Zealand's system of government," Justice Minister Judith Collins said.
"This Bill improves and modernises the rules of succession and helps ensure the monarchy remains relevant to our modern society."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Ukraine Crisis: Putin Dangles Nuclear War Threat, US Senators Advise Sending Defensive Weapons
- James Foley Is A Spy – Jihadi Recruiter Reveals
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen