New Zealand Passes Modernized Royal Succession Law
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | December 12, 2013 2:55 PM EST
The parliament of New Zealand on Wednesday has modernized its royal succession law, thus finally allowing a Queen to become the country's head of state.
Passed on the third and final reading, the Royal Succession Bill effects to institute developments initially agreed by the 16 realms in 2011, who all share the Queen as head of state.
Under the revised and modernized law, the order of succession would no longer be based on gender and exclusive only to male heirs. The new bill allows an elder daughter to precede a younger son as heir to the throne. The revised and modernized law applies to children throne successors born after Oct 28, 2011. Prince George of Cambridge, who was born earlier this year, is likewise included and eligible under the law.
The new law also enables an heir married to a Roman Catholic to accede to the throne. The changes would be enforced simultaneously with the other realms. A date has yet to be agreed upon. The current queen is the elder of two daughters and had no brothers when she succeeded to the throne.
Chloe Oldfield, Vice chair of Monarchy New Zealand, welcome the passage of the bill, noting women also deserve to be heirs to the throne, and should be given equal rights in succession to the throne. She told Radio New Zealand the bill cuts out discrimination against women.
"These changes are positive for New Zealand's system of government," Justice Minister Judith Collins said.
"This Bill improves and modernises the rules of succession and helps ensure the monarchy remains relevant to our modern society."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Vacation Plans: Visit Prince Charles & Camilla Parker-Bowles
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports
- LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install