Maria Sharapova on 'The Ellen deGeneres Show'; Talks Tennis, Trademark Grunt, 'Sugarpova'
By Rachelle Corpuz | December 11, 2013 2:27 PM EST
Maria Sharapova took some time off the tennis court when she made an appearance on the latest episode of "The Ellen DeGeneres Show."
Ellen asked Sharapova about her trademark grunting that she does on her tennis matches. Retired professional tennis athletes Monica Seles and Jimmy Connors were regarded as the ones who actually started the "grunt" in tennis. With the current tennis superstars, Sharapova was just one of those who grunt during a tennis game. Serena Williams, Victoria Azarenka, Rafael Nadal, and Novak Djokovic also grunt when they play.
Sharapova revealed to Ellen that she has probably started grunting when she started playing tennis."I was for when I started (playing tennis)," said Sharapova. "It was probably not as loud then, I've had a lot of many years of practice since then so I think it gets louder," she told Ellen.
Watch the video of Sharapova "grunting" on one of her matches.
Video Courtesy: YouTube/Nakashak
Sharapova also told Ellen that she isn't really sure what "grunting" does to her game. "I still to this day don't really know," she said. She admitted that even if she doesn't really grunt on her matches, it wouldn't really do any difference.
The 26-year-old Russian hottie visited the show primarily to talk about and promote her premium candy line, Sugarpova. The reason why Sharapova has remained successful is because aside from her tennis career, she also has the Sugarpova business, which has really been doing well. She ensures to devote time and endorse the product whenever she can. Sugarpova is being sold to selected countries all over the world.
Watch the full interview here:
Video Courtesy: YouTube/TheEllenShow
Sharapova played her first game after four months in an exhibition match against Ana Ivanovic in Bogota, Colombia. Even though she lost to Ivanovic, she still has high spirits and focused on achieving great accomplishments in the forthcoming tennis season. Sharapova is expected to return to ruthless action in the 2014 Brisbane International by the end of December.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tasks Engineers to Create the Perfect Tennis Racquet [VIDEO]
- LeBron James and Cleveland Cavaliers the Team to Beat in the East – Paul George
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Renewed Hope for Blues, as Paul Pogba's Agent Revealed that 'Anything is Possible'
- UFC 183: Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz Receives Mixed Reactions on Twitter
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports
- LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install
- Update Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini with Android 4.4.2 KitKat
- LG G3 To Debut Moon Violet and Burgundy Red Shades in August; Upcoming LG Devices Roundup