Maria Sharapova on 'The Ellen deGeneres Show'; Talks Tennis, Trademark Grunt, 'Sugarpova'
By Rachelle Corpuz | December 11, 2013 2:27 PM EST
Maria Sharapova took some time off the tennis court when she made an appearance on the latest episode of "The Ellen DeGeneres Show."
Ellen asked Sharapova about her trademark grunting that she does on her tennis matches. Retired professional tennis athletes Monica Seles and Jimmy Connors were regarded as the ones who actually started the "grunt" in tennis. With the current tennis superstars, Sharapova was just one of those who grunt during a tennis game. Serena Williams, Victoria Azarenka, Rafael Nadal, and Novak Djokovic also grunt when they play.
Sharapova revealed to Ellen that she has probably started grunting when she started playing tennis."I was for when I started (playing tennis)," said Sharapova. "It was probably not as loud then, I've had a lot of many years of practice since then so I think it gets louder," she told Ellen.
Watch the video of Sharapova "grunting" on one of her matches.
Video Courtesy: YouTube/Nakashak
Sharapova also told Ellen that she isn't really sure what "grunting" does to her game. "I still to this day don't really know," she said. She admitted that even if she doesn't really grunt on her matches, it wouldn't really do any difference.
The 26-year-old Russian hottie visited the show primarily to talk about and promote her premium candy line, Sugarpova. The reason why Sharapova has remained successful is because aside from her tennis career, she also has the Sugarpova business, which has really been doing well. She ensures to devote time and endorse the product whenever she can. Sugarpova is being sold to selected countries all over the world.
Watch the full interview here:
Video Courtesy: YouTube/TheEllenShow
Sharapova played her first game after four months in an exhibition match against Ana Ivanovic in Bogota, Colombia. Even though she lost to Ivanovic, she still has high spirits and focused on achieving great accomplishments in the forthcoming tennis season. Sharapova is expected to return to ruthless action in the 2014 Brisbane International by the end of December.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Rhonda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans