Maria Sharapova on 'The Ellen deGeneres Show'; Talks Tennis, Trademark Grunt, 'Sugarpova'
By Rachelle Corpuz | December 11, 2013 2:27 PM EST
Maria Sharapova took some time off the tennis court when she made an appearance on the latest episode of "The Ellen DeGeneres Show."
Ellen asked Sharapova about her trademark grunting that she does on her tennis matches. Retired professional tennis athletes Monica Seles and Jimmy Connors were regarded as the ones who actually started the "grunt" in tennis. With the current tennis superstars, Sharapova was just one of those who grunt during a tennis game. Serena Williams, Victoria Azarenka, Rafael Nadal, and Novak Djokovic also grunt when they play.
Sharapova revealed to Ellen that she has probably started grunting when she started playing tennis."I was for when I started (playing tennis)," said Sharapova. "It was probably not as loud then, I've had a lot of many years of practice since then so I think it gets louder," she told Ellen.
Watch the video of Sharapova "grunting" on one of her matches.
Video Courtesy: YouTube/Nakashak
Sharapova also told Ellen that she isn't really sure what "grunting" does to her game. "I still to this day don't really know," she said. She admitted that even if she doesn't really grunt on her matches, it wouldn't really do any difference.
The 26-year-old Russian hottie visited the show primarily to talk about and promote her premium candy line, Sugarpova. The reason why Sharapova has remained successful is because aside from her tennis career, she also has the Sugarpova business, which has really been doing well. She ensures to devote time and endorse the product whenever she can. Sugarpova is being sold to selected countries all over the world.
Watch the full interview here:
Video Courtesy: YouTube/TheEllenShow
Sharapova played her first game after four months in an exhibition match against Ana Ivanovic in Bogota, Colombia. Even though she lost to Ivanovic, she still has high spirits and focused on achieving great accomplishments in the forthcoming tennis season. Sharapova is expected to return to ruthless action in the 2014 Brisbane International by the end of December.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage