Maria Sharapova on 'The Ellen deGeneres Show'; Talks Tennis, Trademark Grunt, 'Sugarpova'
By Rachelle Corpuz | December 11, 2013 2:27 PM EST
Maria Sharapova took some time off the tennis court when she made an appearance on the latest episode of "The Ellen DeGeneres Show."
Ellen asked Sharapova about her trademark grunting that she does on her tennis matches. Retired professional tennis athletes Monica Seles and Jimmy Connors were regarded as the ones who actually started the "grunt" in tennis. With the current tennis superstars, Sharapova was just one of those who grunt during a tennis game. Serena Williams, Victoria Azarenka, Rafael Nadal, and Novak Djokovic also grunt when they play.
Sharapova revealed to Ellen that she has probably started grunting when she started playing tennis."I was for when I started (playing tennis)," said Sharapova. "It was probably not as loud then, I've had a lot of many years of practice since then so I think it gets louder," she told Ellen.
Watch the video of Sharapova "grunting" on one of her matches.
Video Courtesy: YouTube/Nakashak
Sharapova also told Ellen that she isn't really sure what "grunting" does to her game. "I still to this day don't really know," she said. She admitted that even if she doesn't really grunt on her matches, it wouldn't really do any difference.
The 26-year-old Russian hottie visited the show primarily to talk about and promote her premium candy line, Sugarpova. The reason why Sharapova has remained successful is because aside from her tennis career, she also has the Sugarpova business, which has really been doing well. She ensures to devote time and endorse the product whenever she can. Sugarpova is being sold to selected countries all over the world.
Watch the full interview here:
Video Courtesy: YouTube/TheEllenShow
Sharapova played her first game after four months in an exhibition match against Ana Ivanovic in Bogota, Colombia. Even though she lost to Ivanovic, she still has high spirits and focused on achieving great accomplishments in the forthcoming tennis season. Sharapova is expected to return to ruthless action in the 2014 Brisbane International by the end of December.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- DeMarcus Cousins, Omar Casspi Lift Undermanned Sacramento Kings Over New Orleans Pelicans, 99-89
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast