Maria Sharapova on 'The Ellen deGeneres Show'; Talks Tennis, Trademark Grunt, 'Sugarpova'
By Rachelle Corpuz | December 11, 2013 2:27 PM EST
Maria Sharapova took some time off the tennis court when she made an appearance on the latest episode of "The Ellen DeGeneres Show."
Ellen asked Sharapova about her trademark grunting that she does on her tennis matches. Retired professional tennis athletes Monica Seles and Jimmy Connors were regarded as the ones who actually started the "grunt" in tennis. With the current tennis superstars, Sharapova was just one of those who grunt during a tennis game. Serena Williams, Victoria Azarenka, Rafael Nadal, and Novak Djokovic also grunt when they play.
Sharapova revealed to Ellen that she has probably started grunting when she started playing tennis."I was for when I started (playing tennis)," said Sharapova. "It was probably not as loud then, I've had a lot of many years of practice since then so I think it gets louder," she told Ellen.
Watch the video of Sharapova "grunting" on one of her matches.
Video Courtesy: YouTube/Nakashak
Sharapova also told Ellen that she isn't really sure what "grunting" does to her game. "I still to this day don't really know," she said. She admitted that even if she doesn't really grunt on her matches, it wouldn't really do any difference.
The 26-year-old Russian hottie visited the show primarily to talk about and promote her premium candy line, Sugarpova. The reason why Sharapova has remained successful is because aside from her tennis career, she also has the Sugarpova business, which has really been doing well. She ensures to devote time and endorse the product whenever she can. Sugarpova is being sold to selected countries all over the world.
Watch the full interview here:
Video Courtesy: YouTube/TheEllenShow
Sharapova played her first game after four months in an exhibition match against Ana Ivanovic in Bogota, Colombia. Even though she lost to Ivanovic, she still has high spirits and focused on achieving great accomplishments in the forthcoming tennis season. Sharapova is expected to return to ruthless action in the 2014 Brisbane International by the end of December.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions