Australia Promises Biggest Fireworks Display at Sydney Opera House on New Year's Eve
By Floyd Allen | December 10, 2013 8:23 PM EST
As Australia’s iconic, Sydney Opera House celebrates its 40th anniversary, a promise has been made to greet new years in January 2014. It is one of the biggest midnight display of fireworks on New Year’s eve - - one Australia has yet to see.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, the Sydney Harbour Bridge vowed for a fireworks display with an estimated one billion people who will see such event on New Year’s celebration.
Organizers have begun preparation for the much-anticipated event. The Harbour officials have tapped one of Australia’s renowned artists and musicians, Reg Mombassa to design the event’s logo.
The Mental As Anything singer remains tightlipped to the work he is expected to contribute to the event.
"If I gave the slightest bit of information away I'd be locked up for treason," quoted the Mambo artist to the Sydney Morning Herald.
However, nothing escapes to the anticipating and captivating Aussie eyes when kilometers of rope light that will be arranged in the iconic Australian bridge.
The SMH noted that the rope of light for New Year’s celebration in 2014 is twice as big as the ones used in the previous years. It is said that officials purchased rope light that could go as high as 12-storey building with 72 meters wide.
Mambossa was more than generous to provide details of the upcoming fireworks display at the Sydney bridge.
"Apparently the fireworks, the Sydney fireworks, are actually visible from the closest galactic supercluster, the Virgo Supercluster, which is 65 million light years from earth,” said Mambossa, according to SMH.
"So there will be some insect-faced aliens enjoying the fireworks display, which is nice to know.”
Meanwhile, as part of the 40th year celebration of the Sydney Opera House, the SMH also reported that it will display an estimated 1000 fireworks on New Year’s eve. The news Web site that this is the first time that the famous building is participating in the fireworks display in more than ten years.
The Sydney mayor’s office through, mayor Clover Moore apparently gave $6.8 million for fireworks display as a gift to Sydney. An estimated1.5 million people are expected to enjoy the biggest fireworks display Australia has yet to see.
More Entertainment Features:
Justin Bieber’s Music Monday Tracks Collection: What to Expect from “Journals” - Tracklist and More [VIDEO] Full article here.
Brangelina: Proof That Brad Pitt 'Cheated On Angelina Jolie [VIDEO] Full article here.
Top Things to Know About Tropfest Winning Australian Film, 'Bamboozled' [VIDEO] Full article here.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’