Australia Promises Biggest Fireworks Display at Sydney Opera House on New Year's Eve
By Floyd Allen | December 10, 2013 8:23 PM EST
As Australia’s iconic, Sydney Opera House celebrates its 40th anniversary, a promise has been made to greet new years in January 2014. It is one of the biggest midnight display of fireworks on New Year’s eve - - one Australia has yet to see.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, the Sydney Harbour Bridge vowed for a fireworks display with an estimated one billion people who will see such event on New Year’s celebration.
Organizers have begun preparation for the much-anticipated event. The Harbour officials have tapped one of Australia’s renowned artists and musicians, Reg Mombassa to design the event’s logo.
The Mental As Anything singer remains tightlipped to the work he is expected to contribute to the event.
"If I gave the slightest bit of information away I'd be locked up for treason," quoted the Mambo artist to the Sydney Morning Herald.
However, nothing escapes to the anticipating and captivating Aussie eyes when kilometers of rope light that will be arranged in the iconic Australian bridge.
The SMH noted that the rope of light for New Year’s celebration in 2014 is twice as big as the ones used in the previous years. It is said that officials purchased rope light that could go as high as 12-storey building with 72 meters wide.
Mambossa was more than generous to provide details of the upcoming fireworks display at the Sydney bridge.
"Apparently the fireworks, the Sydney fireworks, are actually visible from the closest galactic supercluster, the Virgo Supercluster, which is 65 million light years from earth,” said Mambossa, according to SMH.
"So there will be some insect-faced aliens enjoying the fireworks display, which is nice to know.”
Meanwhile, as part of the 40th year celebration of the Sydney Opera House, the SMH also reported that it will display an estimated 1000 fireworks on New Year’s eve. The news Web site that this is the first time that the famous building is participating in the fireworks display in more than ten years.
The Sydney mayor’s office through, mayor Clover Moore apparently gave $6.8 million for fireworks display as a gift to Sydney. An estimated1.5 million people are expected to enjoy the biggest fireworks display Australia has yet to see.
More Entertainment Features:
Justin Bieber’s Music Monday Tracks Collection: What to Expect from “Journals” - Tracklist and More [VIDEO] Full article here.
Brangelina: Proof That Brad Pitt 'Cheated On Angelina Jolie [VIDEO] Full article here.
Top Things to Know About Tropfest Winning Australian Film, 'Bamboozled' [VIDEO] Full article here.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Han Solo's Super Star Destroyer, Costumes And Weapons
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’: Top 5 Revelations Of Season 8
- 'NCIS' Season 12 Spoilers: Ziva David Out, Tony's New Love Could be Stephanie Jacobsen's Leia; Troian Bellisario Teases 'Reunion' Photo
- 'X-Men: Apocalypse' : Wolverine's Costume's Leaked Image Hints to Traditional Look, Hugh Jackman to Play the Character Till Scripts Excite Him
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Tatooine Set Leaked, Reveals Tusken Raiders Huts
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff