Australia Promises Biggest Fireworks Display at Sydney Opera House on New Year's Eve
By Floyd Allen | December 10, 2013 8:23 PM EST
As Australia’s iconic, Sydney Opera House celebrates its 40th anniversary, a promise has been made to greet new years in January 2014. It is one of the biggest midnight display of fireworks on New Year’s eve - - one Australia has yet to see.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, the Sydney Harbour Bridge vowed for a fireworks display with an estimated one billion people who will see such event on New Year’s celebration.
Organizers have begun preparation for the much-anticipated event. The Harbour officials have tapped one of Australia’s renowned artists and musicians, Reg Mombassa to design the event’s logo.
The Mental As Anything singer remains tightlipped to the work he is expected to contribute to the event.
"If I gave the slightest bit of information away I'd be locked up for treason," quoted the Mambo artist to the Sydney Morning Herald.
However, nothing escapes to the anticipating and captivating Aussie eyes when kilometers of rope light that will be arranged in the iconic Australian bridge.
The SMH noted that the rope of light for New Year’s celebration in 2014 is twice as big as the ones used in the previous years. It is said that officials purchased rope light that could go as high as 12-storey building with 72 meters wide.
Mambossa was more than generous to provide details of the upcoming fireworks display at the Sydney bridge.
"Apparently the fireworks, the Sydney fireworks, are actually visible from the closest galactic supercluster, the Virgo Supercluster, which is 65 million light years from earth,” said Mambossa, according to SMH.
"So there will be some insect-faced aliens enjoying the fireworks display, which is nice to know.”
Meanwhile, as part of the 40th year celebration of the Sydney Opera House, the SMH also reported that it will display an estimated 1000 fireworks on New Year’s eve. The news Web site that this is the first time that the famous building is participating in the fireworks display in more than ten years.
The Sydney mayor’s office through, mayor Clover Moore apparently gave $6.8 million for fireworks display as a gift to Sydney. An estimated1.5 million people are expected to enjoy the biggest fireworks display Australia has yet to see.
More Entertainment Features:
Justin Bieber’s Music Monday Tracks Collection: What to Expect from “Journals” - Tracklist and More [VIDEO] Full article here.
Brangelina: Proof That Brad Pitt 'Cheated On Angelina Jolie [VIDEO] Full article here.
Top Things to Know About Tropfest Winning Australian Film, 'Bamboozled' [VIDEO] Full article here.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]