Australia Promises Biggest Fireworks Display at Sydney Opera House on New Year's Eve
By Floyd Allen | December 10, 2013 8:23 PM EST
As Australia’s iconic, Sydney Opera House celebrates its 40th anniversary, a promise has been made to greet new years in January 2014. It is one of the biggest midnight display of fireworks on New Year’s eve - - one Australia has yet to see.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, the Sydney Harbour Bridge vowed for a fireworks display with an estimated one billion people who will see such event on New Year’s celebration.
Organizers have begun preparation for the much-anticipated event. The Harbour officials have tapped one of Australia’s renowned artists and musicians, Reg Mombassa to design the event’s logo.
The Mental As Anything singer remains tightlipped to the work he is expected to contribute to the event.
"If I gave the slightest bit of information away I'd be locked up for treason," quoted the Mambo artist to the Sydney Morning Herald.
However, nothing escapes to the anticipating and captivating Aussie eyes when kilometers of rope light that will be arranged in the iconic Australian bridge.
The SMH noted that the rope of light for New Year’s celebration in 2014 is twice as big as the ones used in the previous years. It is said that officials purchased rope light that could go as high as 12-storey building with 72 meters wide.
Mambossa was more than generous to provide details of the upcoming fireworks display at the Sydney bridge.
"Apparently the fireworks, the Sydney fireworks, are actually visible from the closest galactic supercluster, the Virgo Supercluster, which is 65 million light years from earth,” said Mambossa, according to SMH.
"So there will be some insect-faced aliens enjoying the fireworks display, which is nice to know.”
Meanwhile, as part of the 40th year celebration of the Sydney Opera House, the SMH also reported that it will display an estimated 1000 fireworks on New Year’s eve. The news Web site that this is the first time that the famous building is participating in the fireworks display in more than ten years.
The Sydney mayor’s office through, mayor Clover Moore apparently gave $6.8 million for fireworks display as a gift to Sydney. An estimated1.5 million people are expected to enjoy the biggest fireworks display Australia has yet to see.
More Entertainment Features:
Justin Bieber’s Music Monday Tracks Collection: What to Expect from “Journals” - Tracklist and More [VIDEO] Full article here.
Brangelina: Proof That Brad Pitt 'Cheated On Angelina Jolie [VIDEO] Full article here.
Top Things to Know About Tropfest Winning Australian Film, 'Bamboozled' [VIDEO] Full article here.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- Nina Dobrev Moves On From Ian Somerhalder: ‘TVD’ Actress Trying To Reconcile With Ex, ‘DWTS’ Star Derek Hough—Report Suggests
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Casting: Brothel Guard, Military Officer And More
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Skyler Samuels Roped In To Play Pivotal Role, Extended Teaser Released [VIDEO]
- ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Season 11 Premiere (Episode 1) Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘I Must Have Lost It On The Wind'
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best
- Australian Liberals Urge Expat Kiwis To Favour John Key In New Zealand Election