Android 4.4.1 KOT49E KitKat Update Available for Nexus 10 [How to Install]
By Sarmistha Acharya | December 9, 2013 9:32 PM EST
The OTA update has been rolled out to Nexus 5, Nexus 4 and Wi-Fi/LTE variants of Nexus 7 2013 model. Now the update is available for Google's 10in Nexus tablet manufactured by Samsung.
The Android 4.4.1 KOT49E KitKat is a major camera improvement update for the Nexus 5. Apart from this, the update bundles several minor changes, user interface tweaks and fixes a number of small bug issues. Click here to know what is new in Android 4.4.1 KOT49E KitKat update.
Nexus 10 users who have not received Android 4.4.1 OTA notification and wish to install the update manually may follow our step-by-step guide. There are two methods to install the update: for rooted and non-rooted versions of Nexus 10. Users may follow either of the methods depending on the root status of the tablet.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device. Before installing the official build, users are also advised to verify their devices meet following requirements.
1) Install Android SDK, which includes necessary drivers for connecting the Nexus 10 to computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the tablet to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Head over to Settings>> About tablet. Then tap on Build Number several times until the message appears saying, You are now a Developer. Exit from About tablet and find the Developer Options settings and enable USB Debugging Mode.]
3) As the tutorial might wipe out all data of the tablet, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP then backup data using recovery.
4) If the Android device powers off due to lack of battery while the installation process, it could damage the device. Therefore, the Nexus 10 should have above 80% battery charge.
5) The Nexus 10 should be on Android 4.4 KRT16S KitKat (previous official update). The tablet should not be rooted and have stock recovery.
6) Android 4.4.1 KOT49E KitKat build is compatible only with Nexus 10. As flashing this on incorrect variant might brick the device, verify the model number of Nexus 10 by navigating to Settings>> About tablet.
Steps to install Android 4.4.1 KOT49E KitKat on Nexus 10 [for non-rooted]
Step-1: Download Android 4.4.1 KOT49E KitKat for Nexus 10 to computer. Rename the downloaded zip file to update.zip
Step-2: Connect the Nexus 10 to the computer using USB cable. Then copy the update.zip to the internal storage of the tablet. The file should be in the SD card root, not in any folder
Step-3: Switch off the Nexus 10. Then enter Fastboot Mode by pressing and holding Volume Up and Power buttons together
Step-4: Follow the on-screen navigation instructions. Press Volume Up button for several times to enter Recovery Mode
Step-5: An exclamation mark should now appear. Press and hold Volume Up and Power buttons together again to enter Recovery Mode
Step-6: Select update from sdcard then navigate to the Update.zip which was earlier copied to the tablet's storage. Confirm installation by pressing the Power button
Step-7: When the flashing is completed, the tablet will boot automatically. It might take about five minutes to boot for the first time
The Nexus 10 should now be updated to Android 4.4.1 KOT49E KitKat official firmware. Navigate to Settings>> About tablet to verify the new software version of the device.
1) The Nexus 10 should have ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery installed. Click here for our step-by-step guide to root and install CWM recovery on Nexus 10.
2) Make a Nandroid backup of the previous tablet set up before proceeding.
Steps to install Android 4.4.1 KOT49E KitKat update on Nexus 10 [for rooted]
Step-1: Download Android 4.4.1 KOT49E KitKat OTA update for Nexus 10 on the computer
Step-2: Connect the Nexus 10 to computer using USB cable. Copy the Android 4.4.1 zip to the internal SD card (tablet's internal storage). Ensure the file is in the SD card root, not in any folder
Step-3: Switch off the Nexus 10. Now boot the device into Fastboot Mode by pressing and holding Volume Up and Power buttons together
Step-4: Follow the navigation instructions on the screen. Press Volume Up button several times to enter Recovery Mode
Step-5: In CWM recovery, select flash zip from sdcard then select choose zip from sdcard
Step-6: Navigate to Android 4.4.1 firmware zip and confirm installation by pressing the Power button
Step-7: When the flashing is completed, return to the main recovery menu and reboot the tablet by selecting reboot system now. The tablet will boot now and it would take about five minutes to boot for the first time
Android 4.4.1 KOT49E KitKat update should now be installed and running on the Nexus 10. Navigate to Settings>> About to verify the firmware version.
[Source: Honai of Android]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail: