5 Sony Mid-Range Xperia Phones Get Android 4.3, Android 4.4 Starting in December; 15 Other Sony Phones via CyanogenMod 11
By Ryan Inoyori | December 9, 2013 5:59 PM EST
Sony unveiled the upgrade roadmap of several mid-range Xperia smartphones with Android 4.3 Jelly Bean and Android 4.4 KitKat firmware starting Dec. 2013. It includes Xperia SP, ZR, T, TX and V but Xperia C, L and M weren't listed as official recipients of any updates yet.
Sony Upgrade Plans for Mid-Range Xperia
Sony's first upgrade plan of Android 4.3 and Android 4.4 KitKat was revealed on Xperia Z series such as Xperia Z1, Xperia Z, Xperia Ultra, Xperia ZL and Xperia Tablet Z. It was followed by another batch of recipients and they are all mid-range smartphones. Included to the second list of Android 4.4 KitKat are:
- Xperia SP
- Xperia ZR
- Xperia T
- Xperia TX
- Xperia V
Android 4.3 Jelly Bean in Dec. 2013
Official Android 4.3 Jelly Bean upgrade for Xperia handsets are scheduled in Dec. 2013 followed by Android 4.4 next year. Xperia Z series are firsthand to obtain the new firmware before reaching mid-range devices.
Recipients of Android 4.3 firmware includes Xperia Z, ZL, ZR, Z Ultra, Z1 and Tablet Z while the second batch members are Xperia SP, T, TX and V.
Unfortunately, Xperia C, L and M owners are not yet blessed to get any major updates soon since their smartphones weren't included by Sony. Xperia L and M are compatible with Android 4.4 KitKat and was launched within the last six months making both eligible to the upgrade window period. Xperia C is currently sold in limited availability which makes it left out due to commercial reasons.
LegacyXperia and FreeXperia developers are now sending out custom ROMs for several Xperia smartphones and some of these devices are older than what Sony is targeting.
LegacyXperia Project made Android 4.4 KitKat for Xperia Arc, Neo V, Pro and more via unofficial port of CyanogenMod 11 custom ROM while FreeXperia team already posted Android 4.4 KitKat CM11 based custom firmware for Xperia Z, ZL, ZR, Tablet Z, T, TX and V.
XDA developers also unofficial build of CyanogenMod 11 custom ROM for Xperia Go, Sola, P and U.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation