5 Sony Mid-Range Xperia Phones Get Android 4.3, Android 4.4 Starting in December; 15 Other Sony Phones via CyanogenMod 11
By Ryan Inoyori | December 9, 2013 5:59 PM EST
Sony unveiled the upgrade roadmap of several mid-range Xperia smartphones with Android 4.3 Jelly Bean and Android 4.4 KitKat firmware starting Dec. 2013. It includes Xperia SP, ZR, T, TX and V but Xperia C, L and M weren't listed as official recipients of any updates yet.
Sony Upgrade Plans for Mid-Range Xperia
Sony's first upgrade plan of Android 4.3 and Android 4.4 KitKat was revealed on Xperia Z series such as Xperia Z1, Xperia Z, Xperia Ultra, Xperia ZL and Xperia Tablet Z. It was followed by another batch of recipients and they are all mid-range smartphones. Included to the second list of Android 4.4 KitKat are:
- Xperia SP
- Xperia ZR
- Xperia T
- Xperia TX
- Xperia V
Android 4.3 Jelly Bean in Dec. 2013
Official Android 4.3 Jelly Bean upgrade for Xperia handsets are scheduled in Dec. 2013 followed by Android 4.4 next year. Xperia Z series are firsthand to obtain the new firmware before reaching mid-range devices.
Recipients of Android 4.3 firmware includes Xperia Z, ZL, ZR, Z Ultra, Z1 and Tablet Z while the second batch members are Xperia SP, T, TX and V.
Unfortunately, Xperia C, L and M owners are not yet blessed to get any major updates soon since their smartphones weren't included by Sony. Xperia L and M are compatible with Android 4.4 KitKat and was launched within the last six months making both eligible to the upgrade window period. Xperia C is currently sold in limited availability which makes it left out due to commercial reasons.
LegacyXperia and FreeXperia developers are now sending out custom ROMs for several Xperia smartphones and some of these devices are older than what Sony is targeting.
LegacyXperia Project made Android 4.4 KitKat for Xperia Arc, Neo V, Pro and more via unofficial port of CyanogenMod 11 custom ROM while FreeXperia team already posted Android 4.4 KitKat CM11 based custom firmware for Xperia Z, ZL, ZR, Tablet Z, T, TX and V.
XDA developers also unofficial build of CyanogenMod 11 custom ROM for Xperia Go, Sola, P and U.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy