When Google introduced the Android 4.4 KitKat update, the company confirmed that Samsung Galaxy Nexus reach the conclusion of its support life. The line will not receive an Android 4.3 and Android 4.4 update. Certainly, the primary reason why consumers purchase the Nexus devices is so they do not have to wait for the "official" updates and do it manually. The Galaxy Nexus is not far from this. Fortunately, there are custom ROM providers around.
A developer on XDA, PlayfulGod, made it possible for the Gnex to get a completely functional KitKat ROM. This will allow users of the line to join the Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 users with the newest Google OS update. The ROM is based on the Cyanogenmod 11 source.
Every primary component works such as phone calls, data, camera and the likes. Users may have to work with a number of bugs like graphical glitch in screenshots or broken panoramas. Nonetheless, they should not be a cause of worry because they will not impact the ROM in a big way.
For those interested, they can check the custom ROM in the link provided. It is important for users to understand that unlocking their device and flashing custom software can remove their warranty. Users can flash at their own risk. Follow the steps provided to update the Samsung Galaxy Nexus device to Android 4.4 KitKat.
Important note: Users should have the latest version of TWRP Recovery or CWM before conducting any of the steps provided.
1. Download the .zip & copy to handset. Users should ensure the phone is WiFi enabled if the downloaded from phone.
2. The zip may be installed either through a sideload or an SD card. There is no need to transfer the file to the handset if the user will be working with sideload. Updating through sideload is done differently. Instructions are provided in another section.
3. Create a backup.
4. Reset the phone. Choose factory reset. This will erase data and cache.
5. Go to install zip from sdcard.
6. Select the zip from the SD card.
7. Choose cm-11-xxxxxxxxxx-UNOFFICIAL-maguro.zip
8. Confirm it.
9. Repeat the steps from number 5 to 8 for gapps.
10. Reboot the handset.
Instructions for sideload:
1. Download zip on the computer.
2. Connect the handset to the PC via USB. Users should ensure they have the USB drivers when using Windows.
3. Open a cmd or terminal window. Type the following code: adb sideload cm-11-xxxxxxxx-UNOFFICIAL-maguro.zip.
4. Repeat the steps for Gapps.
5. Reboot the device.
Disclaimer: We cannot be held liable for any damage or consequences on the device. Providers of the update have no control over what happens to the device following update. Users can update on their own risk.
To contact the editor, e-mail: