Manny Pacquiao Next Fight: Pacman Now Top Challenger for Floyd Mayweather Jr.
By Lou Ramon Aguila | December 9, 2013 4:38 PM EST
Manny Pacquiao has suddenly become the no.1 contender for WBC Welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr., boosting the chance for the fight between the two biggest names in the sport to actually happen next year.
In a shrewd move to make the grandest fight in boxing a reality, WBC President Jose Sulaiman announced that Pacquiao will be the no.1 contender for Mayweather's WBC Welterweight Belt.
Pacquiao is fresh from a one-sided 12-round unanimous victory over Brandon Rios at Venetian Macao in Macau, China. Meanwhile, Mayweather brought home over $100 million this year after beating up big, but flat-footed opponents like Robert 'The Ghost' Guerrero and Saul Canelo Alvarez.
Fight of the Century
Top-Rank promoter Bob Arum said his prized fighter is very much interested to settle his score with Mayweather in a bout that could generate up to $300 million, including Pay-per-View buys, merchandise sales and other revenues.
Arum stressed he's open to accept calls from Mayweather's camp and arrange a meeting involving all parties - including cable giants HBO and Showtime - to finally come up with a megabout, which would settle all kinds of debates on who's really the best fighter in this era.
"There needs to be a big meeting, a summit, involving all the players: "Everybody would have to meet. Talk about an incredible summit. When Lewis and Tyson fought that took the cooperation of everyone. Including Don King and HBO (actually King was not involved in Lewis vs. Tyson in 2002). It can be done," Arum said in an interview with Bob Velin of USA Today.
"Anything can be done. It depends on the willingness of people to do it. And to set aside ego. It's not a big deal getting two guys into the ring to fight each other. There's certain issues that have to be dealt with. But if we just look at an athletic contest and we include in that the testing, there are no issues. The size of the gloves - that's done."
"The size of the ring if they fight in Nevada - it's not an end to the fight. There are no boxing related issues - who goes into the ring first. So what is there? The financials. But again, those can be solved. If people aren't obstinate, those can be solved, the give and take," the promoter added.
Huge Windfall For WBC
There's no surprise WBC putting Pacquiao as the no.1 contender for the WBC Welterweight belt, considering the potential Pacman vs. Money slugfest would give them millions of dollars as the sanctioning body of the bout.
With Pacquiao as the mandatory challenger, Mayweather has the option to accept Pacman as his next opponent or vacate the belt.
"It looks like the WBC is trying to set it up to where Mayweather will have to fight Pacquiao if he wants to keep the WBC 147 lb. title. By pushing Pacquiao to the top spot, it's going to give Mayweather a choice - either to fight Pacquiao or vacate the WBC's 147 lb. title," Boxing News 24 writer Chris Williams stated.
Arum said Pacquiao's opponent will be announced before Christmas Day with Juan Manuel Marquez and Timothy Bradley emerging as the frontrunners. On the other hand, Mayweather is set to unveil his next foe this week, and it looks like he would take on Great Britain's top welterweight Amir Khan.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border