Serena Williams and Victoria Azarenka to Play Head-to-Head in Thailand
By Rachelle Corpuz | December 9, 2013 12:49 PM EST
On Dec 28, World No. 1 Serena Williams will play head-to-head against World No 2 Victoria Azarenka in an exhibition match in Thailand.
The Lawn Tennis Association of Thailand made the announcement as early as November. The exhibition match between the top 2 tennis players will be part of the usual invitational event in the city of Hua Hin, which is a famous holiday getaway just southwest of Bangkok. Instead of usually playing in the tennis court, they will compete against each other in the sand. This is the final event of the International Tennis Federation (ITF) Beach Tennis Tour, an event which also promotes the sports of tennis.
In 2013, Williams and Azarenka have faced each four times. The two met in the finals of Qatar Total Open, where Azarenka defeated Williams for the first time in 2009. Then the two faced each other again during the Italian Open, where Williams prevailed. They met for the third time and the fourth time in 2013, during the Cincinnati Open and the U.S. Open, respectively. Williams won in the Italian Open as well as the U.S. Open, while Azarenka triumphed in the Qatar Open and in the Cincinnati Open.
Williams currently hold a strong 13 wins - 3 losses lead over Azarenka, but the recent matches between the two have been fervently disputed. The 24-year-old Azarenka is out to prove that she can really be a threat to the best female tennis athlete in the world.
Williams and Azarenka also met in the 2013 BNP Paribas Showdown, a one-night tennis showdown held in New York City at the Madison Square Garden, which also featured Rafael Nadal and Juan Martin del Potro. It was a fun tennis showdown. There was one point during the game where the Russian tennis athlete handed her racquet to singer-boyfriend LMFAO's Redfoo, just to ease up the tension between her and Williams, as well as to delight the crowd watching the match.
Check out Serena and Victoria during their 2013 BNP Paribas Showdown.
Video courtesy: YouTube/Hinchada Delpo
After the exhibition match in Thailand, Williams and Azarenka are expected to head towards Australia to start their season at the Brisbane International.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners