Atheist Ad Campaign ‘Not Approved’ in Vancouver, Human Rights Violation Suggested
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | December 9, 2013 11:32 AM EST
A seemingly atheist advertisement gets an unofficial ban in Vancouver.
The Centre for Inquiry Canada designed a billboard where a woman is smiling and a few 'biblically' styled phrases say: "Praying won't help." The apparent atheism depicted on the billboard does not get the approval of a Vancouver billboard company which refused to run it in the city. The group is all set to lodge a complaint for violating their human rights. The ad also says: "Without God, We're all good." - CBC News reports.
According to one of the board members of The Centre for Inquiry Canada, Pat O'Brien, Pattison Outdoor considered the ad 'unacceptable' when it was submitted to them. On the other hand, they did not provide any proper reason why the ad was not acceptable to them. When asked for guidelines, Mr O'Brien's organisation was told that there were no set guidelines which could possibly be given to them. On the contrary, Pattison Outdoor President Randy Otto told CBC News that Pattison Otto had nothing against the organisation or their ads.
Mr Otto said that the organisation took a stand which meant that the ad had to be kept the way it was or it would be taken away. The organisation is now suggesting that the said action which they took themselves violated their human right, he said. Nevertheless, Mr Otto admits that the organisation was asked to modify the ad to reflect company guidelines. However, he was unable to specify the kind of modifications asked to be made.
On the other hand, two other atheist ads on a couple of Kelowna buses disappeared mysteriously in Okanagan. Those ads are also bought by the same organisation, the Centre for Inquiry. Those say: "There probably is no god, now stop worrying and enjoy your life.". According to the Centre spokesman Guy King, the ads must have been 'professionally' removed from the buses which they were in the B.C. Transit yard.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- #Snapgate: iPad Air 2 Breaks While Undergoing Bend Test
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS