Kobe Bryant Returns: Toronto Raptors vs. Los Angeles Lakers [Game Preview]
By James Patrick Quizon | December 9, 2013 11:29 AM EST
Two hundred forty days after the first major injury of his career, Kobe Bryant will be back in uniform when the Los Angeles Lakers host the Toronto Raptors on Sunday night at the Staples center.
Bryant suffered a torn Achilles versus the Golden State Warriors on April 12, 2013, and the Los Angeles franchise player will be making his debut in the 2013-2014 NBA regular season, and the debate whether the new Kobe will be as good as the old Kobe will promptly begin.
The Lakers have actually overachieved this season: Los Angeles (10-9) is one game above 0.500 and looks live have held the fort nicely without their superstar. The Lakers have won three of their last four games and six of their last eight.
The Lakers are fourth in assists (24.1 APG) as a team and it remains to be seen if they can assume the same persona with the return of the volume-shooting Bryant.
Without him, the Lakers have four players average in double-figure scoring, including Pau Gasol (14.5 PPG), Nick Young (14.2 PPG), Jodie Meeks (13.5 PPG) and Steve Blake (10.2 PPG).
Meanwhile, the Raptors have gone the opposite direction having underachieved in the first 18 games of the season with just six wins to show for.
The Raps are currently on a five-game slide, including the last two against the Golden State Warriors, 112-103, in a game where they led by as many as 27 points and the Phoenix Suns, 106-97.
Toronto has its own volume-shooting wingman in Rudy Gay, who averages 19.4 PPG and 7.4 RPG. DeMar Derozan leads the team in scoring with 21.3 PPG.
Subscribe to NBA League Pass to watch the Raptors vs. Lakers and other NBA games on Sunday
Betting Lines: Toronto Raptors (+5) vs. Los Angeles Lakers (O/U 203.5)
Game time: 12:30 pm AEDT
Toronto Raptors Trends
- Raptors are 0-5 ATS in their last 5 games
- Raptors are 0-4 ATS in their last 4 games vs. West teams
- Raptors are 0-4 ATS in their last 4 games after a loss
Los Angeles Lakers Trends
- Lakers are 7-1-1 ATS in their last 9 games
- Lakers are 5-0 ATS in their last 5 games vs. East teams
- Lakers are 4-1-1 ATS in their last 6 games at home
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Top 10 Highest Paid Tennis Players
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Dallas Cowboys Have Worst Linebackers in History, Tony Romo To Miss Games Again – Gerry Fraley
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Google Works on Powering Up Chromebook Line to Kill Competitors, Nvidia Joins with Acer for New Killer Laptop