Kobe Bryant Returns: Toronto Raptors vs. Los Angeles Lakers [Game Preview]
By James Patrick Quizon | December 9, 2013 11:29 AM EST
Two hundred forty days after the first major injury of his career, Kobe Bryant will be back in uniform when the Los Angeles Lakers host the Toronto Raptors on Sunday night at the Staples center.
Bryant suffered a torn Achilles versus the Golden State Warriors on April 12, 2013, and the Los Angeles franchise player will be making his debut in the 2013-2014 NBA regular season, and the debate whether the new Kobe will be as good as the old Kobe will promptly begin.
The Lakers have actually overachieved this season: Los Angeles (10-9) is one game above 0.500 and looks live have held the fort nicely without their superstar. The Lakers have won three of their last four games and six of their last eight.
The Lakers are fourth in assists (24.1 APG) as a team and it remains to be seen if they can assume the same persona with the return of the volume-shooting Bryant.
Without him, the Lakers have four players average in double-figure scoring, including Pau Gasol (14.5 PPG), Nick Young (14.2 PPG), Jodie Meeks (13.5 PPG) and Steve Blake (10.2 PPG).
Meanwhile, the Raptors have gone the opposite direction having underachieved in the first 18 games of the season with just six wins to show for.
The Raps are currently on a five-game slide, including the last two against the Golden State Warriors, 112-103, in a game where they led by as many as 27 points and the Phoenix Suns, 106-97.
Toronto has its own volume-shooting wingman in Rudy Gay, who averages 19.4 PPG and 7.4 RPG. DeMar Derozan leads the team in scoring with 21.3 PPG.
Subscribe to NBA League Pass to watch the Raptors vs. Lakers and other NBA games on Sunday
Betting Lines: Toronto Raptors (+5) vs. Los Angeles Lakers (O/U 203.5)
Game time: 12:30 pm AEDT
Toronto Raptors Trends
- Raptors are 0-5 ATS in their last 5 games
- Raptors are 0-4 ATS in their last 4 games vs. West teams
- Raptors are 0-4 ATS in their last 4 games after a loss
Los Angeles Lakers Trends
- Lakers are 7-1-1 ATS in their last 9 games
- Lakers are 5-0 ATS in their last 5 games vs. East teams
- Lakers are 4-1-1 ATS in their last 6 games at home
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- Taylor Swift's Famous Ex-Boyfriends: From Harry Styles To Joe Jonas [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Wants To Talk To Manny Pacquiao About Super Fight If Filipino Beats Chris Algieri
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Kate Upton And BF Detroit Tigers’ Justin Verlander Spotted Shopping Post Nude Photo Leak Scandal
- 2014/15 NBA Season Preview And Predictions: Los Angeles Lakers; Jeremy Lin's Breakout Campaign
- Manchester United News: Angel Di Maria’s Exit And Hummels’ Future Move
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Available Through O2 For £380, Other Carriers To Follow Soon
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money