Apple Inc (AAPL) Stock Erratic; Is China Mobile a Deal or No Deal?
By Athena Yenko | December 6, 2013 6:28 PM EST
Apple (AAPL) was erratic on Thursday. At one point, it reached $577.25 and if market closed with this price, it will be the highest of Apple (AAPL) stock price since Nov 6, 2012. The surge came as a result of the Wall Street Journal's report that a "person familiar with the situation," - the situation that of the closing of the Apple-China Mobile deal - had been signed and drawn into conclusion.
However, Apple (AAPL) stock closed at a decreased price of $567.90. Analysts noted that it closed a bit low after Reuters reported that China Mobile had denied the WSJ report.
"We are still negotiating with Apple, but for now nothing new to announce," Rainie Lei, a spokesman for China Mobile told Reuters.
Meanwhile, Apple (AAPL) real time quote as of Dec 12, as published by NASDAQ OMX, is at $566.61; today's high at $577.38, today's low at $564.1299; 52-week high at $569.25; 52, week low at 385.10.
China Mobile's share, on the other hand, rose 0.5 per cent to close at HK$84.7 in Hong Kong on Thursday.
The importance of the China Deal
Analysts seemed in unison in predicting that the deal with China Mobile will boost Apple's sales, particularly if China Mobile offers the iPhones at a subsidised or discounted price.
Apple can possibly sell 15 million more iPhones each year and could set its stock price at $585 with the China Mobile deal, said analysts from Pacific Crest Securities.
In a prediction made by analysts at Deutche Bank Securities, it said Apple can sell 20 million more iPhones in a year and could have its stock price set to $625, saying "China Mobile represents a significant, largely untapped market opportunity."
However, inasmuch as a deal with China Mobile is a "positive development" for Apple, Alex Gauna of JMP Securities noted that China Mobile had already been promoting Android phones on its Web site without any mention of the iPhone.
John Bright, an analyst with Avondale Partners, said that if the China Mobile deal pushes through, Apple's revenue will still be unclear because it can be affected by discounts that China Mobile might be offering its customers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money