Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 is now made compatible with Android 4.4 KitKat and the new firmware brings optimised RAM, updated Linux kernel and enhanced processing function.
Mackay ROM for Galaxy S
Mackay ROM 4.1.1 runs Android 4.4 KitKat based from CyanogenMod sources with the following change logs:
- Optimised cortex-A8 processor
- Better RAM management
- Updated Linux kernel 3.0.101
- Lag free governors
- Various improvements
1. Use this firmware to Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 smartphone only.
2. Create a manual backup of all personal files and settings stored on your phone.
3. Make sure that the battery life is at least 50 per cent.
4. Enable USB debugging mode. Go to 'Settings > Application > Development > USB debugging.'
5. Root the Galaxy S and install a custom recovery via ROM manager app from the Play Store.
6. Download the Mackay ROM 4.1.1 and Google Apps package to your computer.
Warning: Mackay ROM is a custom built firmware which requires manual installation. IBTimes and Mackay ROM developers are not responsible for any damages that may occur on your device. Read, understand and follow the instructions carefully to prevent any errors to happen. Do this at your own risk!
1. Connect the Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 to your computer using a USB cable.
2. Copy and paste the Mackay ROM 4.1.1 and Google Apps package to the SD card of your smartphone. Do not extract the zip files.
3. Disconnect the handset and turn it off.
4. Reboot into recovery mode by pressing and holding the 'volume up + home and power' keys at the same time.
5. Inside the recovery mode, create a nAndroid backup of the current ROM. Select 'backup and restore > backup.' It will be saved inside the SD card which you may restore anytime.
6. Perform a full wipe by selecting 'wipe data/factory reset' and 'wipe cache partition' then select 'advanced > wipe Dalvik cache.'
7. Install the Mackay ROM by selecting 'install zip from SD card > choose zip from SD card > find the Mackay ROM 4.1.1 > confirm installation.' Apple the same with the Google Apps package.
8. Once the installation has been completed, go back to the main menu and select 'reboot system now.'
9. The Galaxy S will reboot and reaching the home screen may take at least five minutes.
For any errors or issues, send your comments to Mackay ROM for Galaxy S XDA developer main thread.
To contact the editor, e-mail: