For users who are hesitant in making the transition to Android 4.4 KitKat for their Samsung Galaxy S3, they can stick to the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update. Specifically, Samsung Galaxy S3 GT I9300 Android Phone can run on the Jelly Bean 4.3 update through Cyanogen Mod 10.2. Although it may not be the official firmware from the South Korean tech giant, users can still get the best possible Android experience in their Galaxy S3 handsets.
Before proceeding to the update instructions, it is best for users to ensure they first satisfy the following prerequisites according to Android advice:
- SMS - Use "SMS Backup & Restore app"
- Contacts - Sync with the Gmail application
- Call Log - Call Log and Restore
- Images, Songs, Videos and Files - Copy to Internal / External SD Card
- APN and MMS Settings - Note down from the path "Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names"
Users have to allow USB debugging as well to proceed with the ROM. To do this, users should go to Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging. The handset should be charged at least 40% to avoid power interruptions. If possible, charge the handset fully to avoid any problems at all.
Users have to make sure the device is rooted because the upgrade will use custom ROM firmware. To see if the handset has been rooted already, users must download the Root Checker app. This is available from the Google Play Store. For those with handsets not rooted yet, follow these instructions:
- Manual Update Galaxy S3 GT I9300 with Official XXUFME7 Jellybean 4.1.2 Firmware
- Guide to Root Samsung Galaxy S3 GT I9300 on XXUFME7 Jellybean 4.1.2 Firmware
Disclaimer: Users can update and follow these steps at their own risk. Providers or the updates or upgrade cannot be held responsible or liable on what happens to the user's handset after. Following the steps and upgrading are upon the user's discretion.
Given the user has satisfied the prerequisites and followed the instructions, they should follow these steps to continue with the Jelly Bean 4.3 Android OS update:
- Download Cyanogen Mod 10.2 Jellybean 4.3 and Google Apps Package from the link provided to the computer.
- Connect the Galaxy S3 to the computer via USB cable and transfer the zip files to the device.
- Disconnect the device and switch it to recovery mode.
- To go into recovery mode, press and hold the volume up button and the Home Key button. Continue to press both buttons and turn on the device.
- When in recovery mode, choose "install zip from sd card." Select the Jelly Bean 4.3 Android firmware zip file, including Google Apps ackage.
- Following firmware update, choose "Go Back" and select "reboot system now." The process will take around 4-5 minutes. Some handsets may take a longer.
- To see if the firmware has been updated, go to "Settings > About Phone"
Given the Galaxy S3 suddenly goes into boot loop sequence, users must turn off their handsets and install the update from the beginning.
To contact the editor, e-mail: