'Racist' Attack on Community Painting in Canada, Targeting Black People in Pointe-Saint-Charles
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | December 5, 2013 1:03 PM EST
Pointe-Saint-Charles residents were shocked to notice their dear community mural in a vandalised condition.
A team of local artists called Collectif au pied du mur organised the mural which is over 80 metres long. The mural is painted along a wall retained by a railroad. The mural was completed just this September. It celebrates the enriched diversity of the community as it shows a wide range of ethnic and cultural groups. It is a piece of art which the local residents are extremely proud of. However, they were shocked recently to find the mural painted over by somethign else, CBC reports.
According to Marco Silvestro, who happens to be one of the members of the group which organised the painting, the painting was defaced. He discovered the vandalism as he was biking leisurely along with his daughter. The black woman's face in the painting was painted white. Mr Silverstro finds it as a clear example of racism and xenophobia. He informed that he had been disgusted by this defamation of art.
The mural took three long months to get completed. Every resident in the community was encouraged to freely express their own ideas about it. Everyone was also welcome to try their painting skills on such a huge canvas of concrete.
Mr Silverstro further said that they were in favour of promoting solidarity, multiculturalism and living together. 160 members from the community worked together to create the mural, and it has always been highly respected and was a souce of pride by the community. He said that there was no previous instance of the mural getting mutilated by such graffiti. The community group was quick to react to the vandalism as they claimed that they would repaint the mural to its original version shortly.
Mr Silverstro has announced that that the community wants everyone to know that they strongly condemn what seems to be an act of racism against the black people in the community.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Watch the MH17 Plane Missile Hit Video Tape in Mobile' Goes Viral on Facebook
- Australia Ranks High in Human Development Index But Scores Low in Climate Change
- New Zealand Drafts IWC Resolution to Stop Japanese Whalers from Hunting in 2015
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World