Google has rolled out the Android 4.4 KitKat update to Google Play Edition devices, HTC One and Samsung Galaxy S4. Although the fragmentation remains an issue for the release of the company's latest operating system update, it still is a good upgrade to many devices.
The following sections provide an overview on how to upgrade Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition to Android 4.4 KitKat. Because the LTE variant of the Samsung Galaxy S4 share similar specs, the ROM has been ported currently for the i9505 model.
WCCF Tech provides a complete changelog on updating the Samsung Galaxy S4 to Android 4.4 KitKat:
- Based on latest Official Build 4.4 kitkat
- No ad, no malware, no spyware, bloatware
- Build.prop tweaked
- Update script
- Tweaked for Best Performance
- All Google apps are removed. Download from Googleplay
- Dalvik + bionic library optimization
- 3G and 4G are working. Tested with I9505XXUEMKE_Modem
- Auto zipalign
- Sqlite script
- Sign & Zipalign, smali/baksmali version: 2.0, with api_level 19 (deodexed version v.1)
There are also several requirements that users should complete prior to updating their Samsung Galaxy S4 to Android 4.4 Kitkat. Follow these instructions:
- Download USB drivers for the Galaxy S4 i9505 on a computer.
- Install downloaded drivers.
- Select "Enable" for USB debugging. To do this, go to Menu, select Setting then proceed to Applications.
- Go through the choice and proceed to "Developer Options" to make sure that the USB debugging option is enabled.
- Ensure that a recovery tool is installed. Examples include TWRP or ClockeworkMod.
It is best for users to ensure their Samsung Galaxy S4 handsets have 70% battery or more before doing the update. To update the Galaxy S4 to Android 4.4 Google Play Edition custom ROM, users have to download the required files. To download the prerooted Google Play Edition KitKat ROM for model i9505, click this link.
Doing the upgrade is based upon the user's discretion. Providers of updates have no control over what happens on the handset upon update.
To contact the editor, e-mail: