Former Arsenal Defender and Assistant Manager Pat Rice is in Hospital Receiving Treatment for Cancer
By Rachelle Corpuz | November 29, 2013 10:20 AM EST
Two and a half years after retiring from football, former Arsenal defender and Arsene Wenger's assistant manager Pat Rice was taken to the hospital after he was diagnosed with cancer, reported BBC.
"We can sadly confirm that Pat Rice is in the hospital receiving treatment for cancer, everyone at the Arsenal Football Club sends him best wishes, our thoughts are with Pat and his family," Arsenal said in a statement.
Supports and prayers from fans started overflowing upon hearing the sad news. The hashtag #GetWellSoonPat started trending at Twitter. Some celebrities also expressed their compassion on Rice's battle with cancer.
"Very, very sorry to hear about Pat Rice's fight with cancer, lovely man, and one of the great legends in Arsenal history," Piers Morgan wrote on Twitter.
"Thinking of Pat and his family, I know how strong he is," Jack Wilshere also wrote on Twitter.
On Thursday, Arsene Wenger spoke of his high regard and reverence for Rice. "We are in touch with Pat but I trust his legendary strengths to get over that," said Wenger. "Not only do we love him but we are appreciative of what he has done for the club," added Wenger.
As a player, Rice has made more than 400 appearances for Arsenal and over a hundred for Watford. He has also won 49 caps for Northern Ireland. When he retired from playing, he joined Arsenal as a youth team coach in 1984 before serving as Wenger's assistant manager. He has played a key role in helping Arsenal triumph in the 1990s and 2000s, especially the Doubles in 1997-1998 and 2001-2002.
In the 2013 New Year Honours, Rice was selected Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE).
We wish Pat all the best and may he gather all the strength to overcome and fight the disease.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones