Former Arsenal Defender and Assistant Manager Pat Rice is in Hospital Receiving Treatment for Cancer
By Rachelle Corpuz | November 29, 2013 10:20 AM EST
Two and a half years after retiring from football, former Arsenal defender and Arsene Wenger's assistant manager Pat Rice was taken to the hospital after he was diagnosed with cancer, reported BBC.
"We can sadly confirm that Pat Rice is in the hospital receiving treatment for cancer, everyone at the Arsenal Football Club sends him best wishes, our thoughts are with Pat and his family," Arsenal said in a statement.
Supports and prayers from fans started overflowing upon hearing the sad news. The hashtag #GetWellSoonPat started trending at Twitter. Some celebrities also expressed their compassion on Rice's battle with cancer.
"Very, very sorry to hear about Pat Rice's fight with cancer, lovely man, and one of the great legends in Arsenal history," Piers Morgan wrote on Twitter.
"Thinking of Pat and his family, I know how strong he is," Jack Wilshere also wrote on Twitter.
On Thursday, Arsene Wenger spoke of his high regard and reverence for Rice. "We are in touch with Pat but I trust his legendary strengths to get over that," said Wenger. "Not only do we love him but we are appreciative of what he has done for the club," added Wenger.
As a player, Rice has made more than 400 appearances for Arsenal and over a hundred for Watford. He has also won 49 caps for Northern Ireland. When he retired from playing, he joined Arsenal as a youth team coach in 1984 before serving as Wenger's assistant manager. He has played a key role in helping Arsenal triumph in the 1990s and 2000s, especially the Doubles in 1997-1998 and 2001-2002.
In the 2013 New Year Honours, Rice was selected Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE).
We wish Pat all the best and may he gather all the strength to overcome and fight the disease.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’