Top Reasons Kanye West Switches from Nike to Adidas [VIDEO]
By Floyd Allen | November 27, 2013 2:06 PM EST
Kanye West does not think Nike is the best business partner he can work with “to raise [his] family. Thinking he may have a better deal with Adidas, the “Bound 2” rapper switched partners and inked an agreement with the German sports clothing line.
West has one major reason why he’s unhappy with his relationship with Nike - - the absence of royalties. He insists, he needed one “to provide for his family,” and Adidas was more than glad to give him what he wanted.
“We’re gonna give you this amount right here to design, and two collections a year, and 30 skews — that’s the amount of items that you have. Would that make you happy, Kanye?” West recalls the conversation he had with Nike and shared it with Hot 97, according to missinfo.tv.
But he told Hot 97 DJ, Angie Martinez, that he was not happy.
He continued, “And I said, well I need royalties. It’s not even like I have a joint venture. At least give me some royalties. Michael Jordan has 5%, that business is $2 billion. He makes a $100 million dollars a year off of 5% royalties.”
It was at this point, Kanye recalled when Nike dropped the bomb, noting that the sportswear giant may not be able to give him what he wanted.
“Nike told me we can’t give you royalties because you’re not a professional athlete. I told them, I go to the Garden and play one-on-NO-ONE. I’m a performance athlete,” West added, according to missinfo.tv.
Things are different now, reiterated West, since he is now a father to North West, his first child with fiancée, Kim Kardashian.
Had things been like it used to be, without a baby, West asserted he would not have a problem continue partnership with Nike. Things are just not the same.
West insisted, “So the old me, without a daughter, would have taken the Nike deal because I just love Nikes so much. But the new me, with a daughter, takes the adidas deal because I have royalties and I have to provide for my family.”
It was still unclear for DJ Martinez if the Kanye West-Adidas deal is already official.
West quipped, said missinfo.tv “Whatever’s official, non-official, official, what y’all gonna see is… I am going to be the Tupac of product… I’ma be the first hip-hop designer, and because of that… I’ma be bigger than Walmart.”
The “Runaway” singer collaborated with Nike in 2009 and he released his first shoe, the Air Yeezys. The second version of his shoe was released in 2012.
More Feature News:
Miranda Kerr: What Australian Model Learned from Own Style Icon - - Her Grandma [VIDEO] Full article here.
Celebrity Wardrobe Malfunction: Jennifer Lawrence in her Most Revealing Outfit at “Hunger Games” Premieres [VIDEO] Full article here.
Brangelina: £12M Heart-Shaped Petra Island Angelina Jolie Bought For Brad Pitt, Top Things To Know [VIDEO] Full article here.
Credit: YouTube/HOT 97
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Bachelorette 2014, Bachelor 2015 Spoilers: Andi Dorfman Hints at Next Bachelor; Find Out What He Thinks About the Job
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic says ‘Back in the Saddle’, Beckett, Castle Romance to Grow Stronger
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June