Top Reasons Kanye West Switches from Nike to Adidas [VIDEO]
By Floyd Allen | November 27, 2013 2:06 PM EST
Kanye West does not think Nike is the best business partner he can work with “to raise [his] family. Thinking he may have a better deal with Adidas, the “Bound 2” rapper switched partners and inked an agreement with the German sports clothing line.
West has one major reason why he’s unhappy with his relationship with Nike - - the absence of royalties. He insists, he needed one “to provide for his family,” and Adidas was more than glad to give him what he wanted.
“We’re gonna give you this amount right here to design, and two collections a year, and 30 skews — that’s the amount of items that you have. Would that make you happy, Kanye?” West recalls the conversation he had with Nike and shared it with Hot 97, according to missinfo.tv.
But he told Hot 97 DJ, Angie Martinez, that he was not happy.
He continued, “And I said, well I need royalties. It’s not even like I have a joint venture. At least give me some royalties. Michael Jordan has 5%, that business is $2 billion. He makes a $100 million dollars a year off of 5% royalties.”
It was at this point, Kanye recalled when Nike dropped the bomb, noting that the sportswear giant may not be able to give him what he wanted.
“Nike told me we can’t give you royalties because you’re not a professional athlete. I told them, I go to the Garden and play one-on-NO-ONE. I’m a performance athlete,” West added, according to missinfo.tv.
Things are different now, reiterated West, since he is now a father to North West, his first child with fiancée, Kim Kardashian.
Had things been like it used to be, without a baby, West asserted he would not have a problem continue partnership with Nike. Things are just not the same.
West insisted, “So the old me, without a daughter, would have taken the Nike deal because I just love Nikes so much. But the new me, with a daughter, takes the adidas deal because I have royalties and I have to provide for my family.”
It was still unclear for DJ Martinez if the Kanye West-Adidas deal is already official.
West quipped, said missinfo.tv “Whatever’s official, non-official, official, what y’all gonna see is… I am going to be the Tupac of product… I’ma be the first hip-hop designer, and because of that… I’ma be bigger than Walmart.”
The “Runaway” singer collaborated with Nike in 2009 and he released his first shoe, the Air Yeezys. The second version of his shoe was released in 2012.
More Feature News:
Miranda Kerr: What Australian Model Learned from Own Style Icon - - Her Grandma [VIDEO] Full article here.
Celebrity Wardrobe Malfunction: Jennifer Lawrence in her Most Revealing Outfit at “Hunger Games” Premieres [VIDEO] Full article here.
Brangelina: £12M Heart-Shaped Petra Island Angelina Jolie Bought For Brad Pitt, Top Things To Know [VIDEO] Full article here.
Credit: YouTube/HOT 97
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Kylie Jenner Shamed for Range Rover Boasts
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Maksim Chmerkovskiy Exits DWTS For Jennifer Lopez --- Reports
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Vacation Plans: Visit Prince Charles & Camilla Parker-Bowles
- Queen Elizabeth and Kate Middleton Clash Again: Duchess Scared of Difficult Pregnancy, Adopting Second 'Royal' Baby - Reports
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff