Top Reasons Kanye West Switches from Nike to Adidas [VIDEO]
By Floyd Allen | November 27, 2013 2:06 PM EST
Kanye West does not think Nike is the best business partner he can work with “to raise [his] family. Thinking he may have a better deal with Adidas, the “Bound 2” rapper switched partners and inked an agreement with the German sports clothing line.
West has one major reason why he’s unhappy with his relationship with Nike - - the absence of royalties. He insists, he needed one “to provide for his family,” and Adidas was more than glad to give him what he wanted.
“We’re gonna give you this amount right here to design, and two collections a year, and 30 skews — that’s the amount of items that you have. Would that make you happy, Kanye?” West recalls the conversation he had with Nike and shared it with Hot 97, according to missinfo.tv.
But he told Hot 97 DJ, Angie Martinez, that he was not happy.
He continued, “And I said, well I need royalties. It’s not even like I have a joint venture. At least give me some royalties. Michael Jordan has 5%, that business is $2 billion. He makes a $100 million dollars a year off of 5% royalties.”
It was at this point, Kanye recalled when Nike dropped the bomb, noting that the sportswear giant may not be able to give him what he wanted.
“Nike told me we can’t give you royalties because you’re not a professional athlete. I told them, I go to the Garden and play one-on-NO-ONE. I’m a performance athlete,” West added, according to missinfo.tv.
Things are different now, reiterated West, since he is now a father to North West, his first child with fiancée, Kim Kardashian.
Had things been like it used to be, without a baby, West asserted he would not have a problem continue partnership with Nike. Things are just not the same.
West insisted, “So the old me, without a daughter, would have taken the Nike deal because I just love Nikes so much. But the new me, with a daughter, takes the adidas deal because I have royalties and I have to provide for my family.”
It was still unclear for DJ Martinez if the Kanye West-Adidas deal is already official.
West quipped, said missinfo.tv “Whatever’s official, non-official, official, what y’all gonna see is… I am going to be the Tupac of product… I’ma be the first hip-hop designer, and because of that… I’ma be bigger than Walmart.”
The “Runaway” singer collaborated with Nike in 2009 and he released his first shoe, the Air Yeezys. The second version of his shoe was released in 2012.
More Feature News:
Miranda Kerr: What Australian Model Learned from Own Style Icon - - Her Grandma [VIDEO] Full article here.
Celebrity Wardrobe Malfunction: Jennifer Lawrence in her Most Revealing Outfit at “Hunger Games” Premieres [VIDEO] Full article here.
Brangelina: £12M Heart-Shaped Petra Island Angelina Jolie Bought For Brad Pitt, Top Things To Know [VIDEO] Full article here.
Credit: YouTube/HOT 97
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 4 New Zealand Promo: Beth Greene’s Brave Side In 'Slabtown'
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2