Top Reasons Kanye West Switches from Nike to Adidas [VIDEO]
By Floyd Allen | November 27, 2013 2:06 PM EST
Kanye West does not think Nike is the best business partner he can work with “to raise [his] family. Thinking he may have a better deal with Adidas, the “Bound 2” rapper switched partners and inked an agreement with the German sports clothing line.
West has one major reason why he’s unhappy with his relationship with Nike - - the absence of royalties. He insists, he needed one “to provide for his family,” and Adidas was more than glad to give him what he wanted.
“We’re gonna give you this amount right here to design, and two collections a year, and 30 skews — that’s the amount of items that you have. Would that make you happy, Kanye?” West recalls the conversation he had with Nike and shared it with Hot 97, according to missinfo.tv.
But he told Hot 97 DJ, Angie Martinez, that he was not happy.
He continued, “And I said, well I need royalties. It’s not even like I have a joint venture. At least give me some royalties. Michael Jordan has 5%, that business is $2 billion. He makes a $100 million dollars a year off of 5% royalties.”
It was at this point, Kanye recalled when Nike dropped the bomb, noting that the sportswear giant may not be able to give him what he wanted.
“Nike told me we can’t give you royalties because you’re not a professional athlete. I told them, I go to the Garden and play one-on-NO-ONE. I’m a performance athlete,” West added, according to missinfo.tv.
Things are different now, reiterated West, since he is now a father to North West, his first child with fiancée, Kim Kardashian.
Had things been like it used to be, without a baby, West asserted he would not have a problem continue partnership with Nike. Things are just not the same.
West insisted, “So the old me, without a daughter, would have taken the Nike deal because I just love Nikes so much. But the new me, with a daughter, takes the adidas deal because I have royalties and I have to provide for my family.”
It was still unclear for DJ Martinez if the Kanye West-Adidas deal is already official.
West quipped, said missinfo.tv “Whatever’s official, non-official, official, what y’all gonna see is… I am going to be the Tupac of product… I’ma be the first hip-hop designer, and because of that… I’ma be bigger than Walmart.”
The “Runaway” singer collaborated with Nike in 2009 and he released his first shoe, the Air Yeezys. The second version of his shoe was released in 2012.
More Feature News:
Miranda Kerr: What Australian Model Learned from Own Style Icon - - Her Grandma [VIDEO] Full article here.
Celebrity Wardrobe Malfunction: Jennifer Lawrence in her Most Revealing Outfit at “Hunger Games” Premieres [VIDEO] Full article here.
Brangelina: £12M Heart-Shaped Petra Island Angelina Jolie Bought For Brad Pitt, Top Things To Know [VIDEO] Full article here.
Credit: YouTube/HOT 97
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS