Top Reasons Kanye West Switches from Nike to Adidas [VIDEO]
By Floyd Allen | November 27, 2013 2:06 PM EST
Kanye West does not think Nike is the best business partner he can work with “to raise [his] family. Thinking he may have a better deal with Adidas, the “Bound 2” rapper switched partners and inked an agreement with the German sports clothing line.
West has one major reason why he’s unhappy with his relationship with Nike - - the absence of royalties. He insists, he needed one “to provide for his family,” and Adidas was more than glad to give him what he wanted.
“We’re gonna give you this amount right here to design, and two collections a year, and 30 skews — that’s the amount of items that you have. Would that make you happy, Kanye?” West recalls the conversation he had with Nike and shared it with Hot 97, according to missinfo.tv.
But he told Hot 97 DJ, Angie Martinez, that he was not happy.
He continued, “And I said, well I need royalties. It’s not even like I have a joint venture. At least give me some royalties. Michael Jordan has 5%, that business is $2 billion. He makes a $100 million dollars a year off of 5% royalties.”
It was at this point, Kanye recalled when Nike dropped the bomb, noting that the sportswear giant may not be able to give him what he wanted.
“Nike told me we can’t give you royalties because you’re not a professional athlete. I told them, I go to the Garden and play one-on-NO-ONE. I’m a performance athlete,” West added, according to missinfo.tv.
Things are different now, reiterated West, since he is now a father to North West, his first child with fiancée, Kim Kardashian.
Had things been like it used to be, without a baby, West asserted he would not have a problem continue partnership with Nike. Things are just not the same.
West insisted, “So the old me, without a daughter, would have taken the Nike deal because I just love Nikes so much. But the new me, with a daughter, takes the adidas deal because I have royalties and I have to provide for my family.”
It was still unclear for DJ Martinez if the Kanye West-Adidas deal is already official.
West quipped, said missinfo.tv “Whatever’s official, non-official, official, what y’all gonna see is… I am going to be the Tupac of product… I’ma be the first hip-hop designer, and because of that… I’ma be bigger than Walmart.”
The “Runaway” singer collaborated with Nike in 2009 and he released his first shoe, the Air Yeezys. The second version of his shoe was released in 2012.
More Feature News:
Miranda Kerr: What Australian Model Learned from Own Style Icon - - Her Grandma [VIDEO] Full article here.
Celebrity Wardrobe Malfunction: Jennifer Lawrence in her Most Revealing Outfit at “Hunger Games” Premieres [VIDEO] Full article here.
Brangelina: £12M Heart-Shaped Petra Island Angelina Jolie Bought For Brad Pitt, Top Things To Know [VIDEO] Full article here.
Credit: YouTube/HOT 97
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- 'Vampire Diaries' Season 6 Spoilers: Stefan Proposes To 'Elena Williams' In Promo Trailer For Episode 4 Titled 'Black Hole Sun' [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’: Blake And Louise Tell The True Story
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Oct. 20-24 Spoilers: An ‘Unexpected Visitor’ Changes Everything For Sami Plus Updates On Salemites
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored
- Spain Offers To Train Iraqi Troops To Fight Back ISIS Militants: Kurdish Forces Making Gains In Kobani Against ISIS Surge