Roger Federer Fed Up With Retirement Rumours
By Rachelle Corpuz | November 27, 2013 1:06 PM EST
Roger Federer ended his dreadful season with a loss against Rafael Nadal in the semi-finals of the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) World Tour Finals. In 2013, Federer has truly suffered shocking defeats, and he was unable to finish the season with flying colors.
Undeniably, Federer's professional career seems to be fading. Some say that it may be time that the former World No. 1 hangs up his tennis racquets for good and focus on his domestic life.
However, Federer is adamant that retirement is never going to be an option for now. His love for the sport is just too strong to forget about. "Tennis is something that is always there in your DNA," said Federer. "This is what I used to do as a little boy," he added. "Clearly today, it is different than when I was younger, but it is really something that I enjoy doing," he said.
Romanian former professional tennis player Ilie Nastase has also backed Federer up regarding retirement rumours. "I wish people would stop saying that Federer has to retire," said Nastase. "I think he can play for as long as he wants," Nastase added. "I do not have the same opinion with those people who say that you should retire when you are no longer in your prime," he said. "Federer does not need to prove anything," Nastase concluded.
In all modesty, it really can put a lot of pressure on Federer when people say that he should stop playing your sports just because he has failed to entertain them with successive victories. Just because he is no longer World No. 1 does not really mean he should give up tennis. It happens to all the athletes. You just cannot stay on top forever.
Federer may have had a tough season in 2013 but he is definitely preparing for a big comeback. He has constantly been training to better his playing skills and to delight the fans in the upcoming season. He will also face Jo-Wilfried Tsonga on charity match in January. It looks like Federer has been getting ready for it because he has been sharing pictures of him while on training on Twitter, so he will be back, that is for sure.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Vacation Plans: Visit Prince Charles & Camilla Parker-Bowles
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tasks Engineers to Create the Perfect Tennis Racquet [VIDEO]
- LeBron James and Cleveland Cavaliers the Team to Beat in the East – Paul George
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Renewed Hope for Blues, as Paul Pogba's Agent Revealed that 'Anything is Possible'
- UFC 183: Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz Receives Mixed Reactions on Twitter
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports
- LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install