State Bank of India Executive in Bribery Probe Put on Leave
November 26, 2013 2:58 PM EST
State Bank of India said it had asked a deputy managing director of the bank, Shyamal Acharya, who is under investigation by the CBI in an alleged bribery case, to go on leave.
The police said they had put the deputy managing director under investigation in the case, in which he is alleged to have received Rolex and Omega watches after approving a loan to Worlds Window Group, a metals trading company.
"Incriminating documents recovered during searches are being scrutinised for further investigation," the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) said in a statement on Monday.
State-run SBI, the country's biggest bank, said that a committee of two managing directors would investigate the matter internally.
A spokeswoman for Worlds Window Group denied the company paid a bribe to anybody and said it was seeking legal advice.
Reuters was not able to reach Acharya on his mobile phone.
SBI said it is cooperating with the CBI. The bank also said: "We stand committed to probity in our dealings and assure that SBI will continue to hold highest standards of honesty and transparency in its operations."
Indian officials have said the CBI has been scrutinising the 30 biggest defaults at Indian banks for any evidence that borrowers colluded with bankers for personal gain. CBI spokeswoman Kanchan Prasad said the SBI case announced on Monday was not part of that probe.
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Sydney Software Firm Bigcommerce Teams Up With Alibaba To Beat Amazon
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related