State Bank of India Executive in Bribery Probe Put on Leave
November 26, 2013 2:58 PM EST
State Bank of India said it had asked a deputy managing director of the bank, Shyamal Acharya, who is under investigation by the CBI in an alleged bribery case, to go on leave.
The police said they had put the deputy managing director under investigation in the case, in which he is alleged to have received Rolex and Omega watches after approving a loan to Worlds Window Group, a metals trading company.
"Incriminating documents recovered during searches are being scrutinised for further investigation," the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) said in a statement on Monday.
State-run SBI, the country's biggest bank, said that a committee of two managing directors would investigate the matter internally.
A spokeswoman for Worlds Window Group denied the company paid a bribe to anybody and said it was seeking legal advice.
Reuters was not able to reach Acharya on his mobile phone.
SBI said it is cooperating with the CBI. The bank also said: "We stand committed to probity in our dealings and assure that SBI will continue to hold highest standards of honesty and transparency in its operations."
Indian officials have said the CBI has been scrutinising the 30 biggest defaults at Indian banks for any evidence that borrowers colluded with bankers for personal gain. CBI spokeswoman Kanchan Prasad said the SBI case announced on Monday was not part of that probe.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies
- Fast Food Meat Scandal: McDonald’s Suspend Nuggets and McSpicy Chicken Filets
- Texas Man Selling Condo With ‘Funniest and Most Revealing Ad’
- Tweens Fool Their Parents Online, McAfee Reports
- Debt-Laden Millennials Join Stock Market
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga