7 Volcanoes Erupt in 6 Countries Hours Apart; Is It Another Doomsday Omen? (SPECTACULAR VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | November 25, 2013 10:02 AM EST
Saturday, Nov 23, was an explosive day on earth as seven volcanoes erupted hours apart from each other on the same day.
In Japan, a volcano on Nishino-Shima Island erupted for the first time in 40 years. The eruption resulted in a new island in the Pacific. The Japanese Navy reported that the eruption caused boiling lava to meet sea water that gave rise to plumes of steam and ash.
Some 7,000 miles from Japan. Mexico's Colima Volcano created a steam and ash cloud that reached two miles into the sky.
In Guatemala, Fire Mountain lived up to its name and created a moderate ash could that blanketed the nearby towns with ash fall. But the eruption and shock waves caused by the eruption was felt by Guatemalans as far as 6 miles away from the volcano. While it caused doors and windows to rattle, early reports said there was no damage so far.
In Vanuatu in the Pacific, the Yasur Volcano had some weak explosions and the resultant ash fall is affecting farm lands.
In Italy, Mount Etna created a spectacular lights display show anew, causing flights cancellations. The lava flow damaged the town of Zafferana. Black ash fall filled across the Strait of Messina from Sicily to the mainland, covering the streets and vehicles. The ashes were about 2 cm in size.
Although there were no evacuations, a highway was shuttered from 30 minutes and it closed four air corridors servicing the Catania Airport in Sicily.
In Indonesia, the country's Mount Sinabung spewed ash cloud four miles high, causing the evacuation of 6,000 people, while scientists predict a major eruption forthcoming.
Lastly, Mount Merapi in Java, also in Indonesia, erupted on Saturday, but so far there has been no news yet of any casualties.
The series of volcanic eruptions has again raised speculations about another Doomsday scenario.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
Join the Conversation
- HIV Cure: First Effective Cure to Have Long-Term Remission; 3 Factors to Check on Inactive Virus
- Coming Soon: AntiViral Gel in Condoms to Kill HIV Virus
- Melbourne Man Gives Up Sex For a Year; Donates £50,000 in Charity
- FDA Prioritises Review of ‘Abuse-Deterrent’ Painkiller
- Tree of 40 Fruit: A Tree That Produces 40 Fruits in New York
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People