Sydney To Host Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Australia Until 2015
By Jesselle Maminta | November 22, 2013 5:02 PM EST
The fashion industry's contribution to the state's economy became a major factor in extending the hosting deal, with the sector employing over 70,000 people and generating $6.4 billion from retail sales in 2012-13.
Stoner also announced the continuation of the NSW Fashion Ambassadors initiative, which was launched last year. The program "has seen local fashion identities like Lara Bingle and Designer Kym Ellery paired with influential international fashion media and bloggers brought to Sydney for Fashion Week by Destination NSW, including Bryan Boy and Susie Bubble."
Two more features will be launched at next year's MBFWA, including the Mercedes-Benz Fashion Weekend Edition, which will offer the general public a taste of the exclusive invitation-only trade event, and Shop the Runway, a capsule collection which will be made in collaboration with MBFWA designers and will be purchased via live stream or direct from the runway.
The event is an annual fashion industry event sponsored by Mercedes-Benz, and has been held in Sydney since 2012. This year, a mix of upcoming and established Australian fashion labels showcased their collection, such as Betty Train, Fadoul, Costarella and Camilla and Marc. Notably, the label Romance Was Born presented a glitter-laden collection in pastel colors and flowy silhouettes.
"It is exciting to see new initiatives being pioneered in Sydney that will assist in creating even more opportunities and sales for local designers," Stoner claimed.
"The new Mercedes-Benz Fashion Weekend Edition will generate consumer interest by leveraging the buzz and excitement that is generated from showing at Fashion Week."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Miranda Kerr & the Three Men in Her Life: Orlando Bloom, Justin Bieber & the Millionaire
- Kendall Jenner Has Plan to Get Harry Styles Back, Still Thinks He's Her Soul Mate - Reports
- Kate Upton Thinks her Curves are Great Contrary to What Agents Claim
- Heidi Klum Confirms Relationship By Posting Photos With New Boyfriend Vito Schnabel
- Maroon 5's Latest Single is Adam Levine's Serenade for New Wife Behati Prinsloo
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers