Sydney To Host Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Australia Until 2015
By Jesselle Maminta | November 22, 2013 5:02 PM EST
The fashion industry's contribution to the state's economy became a major factor in extending the hosting deal, with the sector employing over 70,000 people and generating $6.4 billion from retail sales in 2012-13.
Stoner also announced the continuation of the NSW Fashion Ambassadors initiative, which was launched last year. The program "has seen local fashion identities like Lara Bingle and Designer Kym Ellery paired with influential international fashion media and bloggers brought to Sydney for Fashion Week by Destination NSW, including Bryan Boy and Susie Bubble."
Two more features will be launched at next year's MBFWA, including the Mercedes-Benz Fashion Weekend Edition, which will offer the general public a taste of the exclusive invitation-only trade event, and Shop the Runway, a capsule collection which will be made in collaboration with MBFWA designers and will be purchased via live stream or direct from the runway.
The event is an annual fashion industry event sponsored by Mercedes-Benz, and has been held in Sydney since 2012. This year, a mix of upcoming and established Australian fashion labels showcased their collection, such as Betty Train, Fadoul, Costarella and Camilla and Marc. Notably, the label Romance Was Born presented a glitter-laden collection in pastel colors and flowy silhouettes.
"It is exciting to see new initiatives being pioneered in Sydney that will assist in creating even more opportunities and sales for local designers," Stoner claimed.
"The new Mercedes-Benz Fashion Weekend Edition will generate consumer interest by leveraging the buzz and excitement that is generated from showing at Fashion Week."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Kendall Jenner Listed In Top 50 Models List Where Her Friend Model Cara Delevingne Not Mentioned
- Beware: Black Friday Bargain Hunters, Clothes With Deep Discounts Are About To Go Out Of Fashion
- Katie Price Says She Has No Naked Selfies, Wants Julia Roberts, Megan Fox Or Carmen Electra To Play Her On Movie
- Kendall Jenner Is Changing The Face Of Fashion With Three Covers For Dazed Magazine
- Kendall Jenner Cheapens Fashion Industry, Model Says Through An Open Letter
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast