Sydney To Host Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Australia Until 2015
By Jesselle Maminta | November 22, 2013 5:02 PM EST
The fashion industry's contribution to the state's economy became a major factor in extending the hosting deal, with the sector employing over 70,000 people and generating $6.4 billion from retail sales in 2012-13.
Stoner also announced the continuation of the NSW Fashion Ambassadors initiative, which was launched last year. The program "has seen local fashion identities like Lara Bingle and Designer Kym Ellery paired with influential international fashion media and bloggers brought to Sydney for Fashion Week by Destination NSW, including Bryan Boy and Susie Bubble."
Two more features will be launched at next year's MBFWA, including the Mercedes-Benz Fashion Weekend Edition, which will offer the general public a taste of the exclusive invitation-only trade event, and Shop the Runway, a capsule collection which will be made in collaboration with MBFWA designers and will be purchased via live stream or direct from the runway.
The event is an annual fashion industry event sponsored by Mercedes-Benz, and has been held in Sydney since 2012. This year, a mix of upcoming and established Australian fashion labels showcased their collection, such as Betty Train, Fadoul, Costarella and Camilla and Marc. Notably, the label Romance Was Born presented a glitter-laden collection in pastel colors and flowy silhouettes.
"It is exciting to see new initiatives being pioneered in Sydney that will assist in creating even more opportunities and sales for local designers," Stoner claimed.
"The new Mercedes-Benz Fashion Weekend Edition will generate consumer interest by leveraging the buzz and excitement that is generated from showing at Fashion Week."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kendall Jenner Joins Cara Delevingne At Fendi Runway For Milan Fashion Week
- Lindsay Lohan Poses In Silk Underwear For Wonderland Magazine, Talks About Her Favourite Fashion Brands, Shares Beauty Tips [SEE VIDEO]
- Kim Kardashian Exposes Butt As She Becomes Victim To Another Wardrobe Malfunction
- Jessica Alba Talks About Her Entrepreneurial Side, Says She Considers Jennifer Lopez As Her Idol
- Post Nude Photo Scandal, Jennifer Lawrence Is 'Powerful' Woman For Dior Campaign, Wears Inspirational Message T-Shirt [SEE VIDEO]
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet