Sydney To Host Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Australia Until 2015
By Jesselle Maminta | November 22, 2013 5:02 PM EST
The fashion industry's contribution to the state's economy became a major factor in extending the hosting deal, with the sector employing over 70,000 people and generating $6.4 billion from retail sales in 2012-13.
Stoner also announced the continuation of the NSW Fashion Ambassadors initiative, which was launched last year. The program "has seen local fashion identities like Lara Bingle and Designer Kym Ellery paired with influential international fashion media and bloggers brought to Sydney for Fashion Week by Destination NSW, including Bryan Boy and Susie Bubble."
Two more features will be launched at next year's MBFWA, including the Mercedes-Benz Fashion Weekend Edition, which will offer the general public a taste of the exclusive invitation-only trade event, and Shop the Runway, a capsule collection which will be made in collaboration with MBFWA designers and will be purchased via live stream or direct from the runway.
The event is an annual fashion industry event sponsored by Mercedes-Benz, and has been held in Sydney since 2012. This year, a mix of upcoming and established Australian fashion labels showcased their collection, such as Betty Train, Fadoul, Costarella and Camilla and Marc. Notably, the label Romance Was Born presented a glitter-laden collection in pastel colors and flowy silhouettes.
"It is exciting to see new initiatives being pioneered in Sydney that will assist in creating even more opportunities and sales for local designers," Stoner claimed.
"The new Mercedes-Benz Fashion Weekend Edition will generate consumer interest by leveraging the buzz and excitement that is generated from showing at Fashion Week."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Arthur George By Rob Kardashian Now Available In Colette Paris
- Nicole Kidman Does A Risqué, Twilight Style Photo Shoot In Sultry Lingerie For Interview Magazine
- Hello Kitty's Shocking News: She Is Not Cat But A Little Girl Of George and Mary White
- Keira Knightley Goes Topless For 'Interview' Magazine's September Cover
- Spanish Clothing Giant Zara Apologises For Making Kids T-Shirt That Resemble Nazi Concentration Camp Uniforms
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares