'Vietnam Monster' or Whale in Cambodia -- No Alien Sighting, Just Behemoth on Earth? [VIRAL VIDEO]
By Arlene Paredes | November 21, 2013 3:47 AM EST
A video called "Vietnam monster" is going viral on YouTube, sparking a guessing game among viewers. However, the clip was filmed in Cambodia, says many viewers. The comments are ranging from hilarious to convincing. Some are calling it a sighting of a dead alien. Others are sure the gigantic creature is a lifeless whale. Watch the video and make up your mind.
Using Google Translate, the viral video titled "Vietnam Monster" carries the following description:
"I'm caught in Vietnam, he was a freak. Vietnam, for you? (sic) It is said to have been found in the soil even more miraculous. (sic) I remember the old movies starfish. (sic)" The Korean characters preceding the English words in the title translate to "Vietnam monster."
"'Vietnam Monster?' This video has Chinese watermarks, the people in the video are Cambodian, the description is written in Korean....and that thing is a whale," YouTube user Chandara Cheng commented.
How did the uploader figure the behemoth creature came from Vietnam? There is another video with an English description that says: "Recently, Karapaia, a Japanese news site focusing on the strange and weird, posted a video of what seems to be a giant monster being dug out of the ground in Vietnam."
The English description referred the creature as "long, fat, gray (and) slug-like." The YouTube uploader said the people gathered around the huge creature were "curious onlookers watching with rapt attention as the horrifying behemoth is hoisted onto a trailer."
However, if the strange sighting was indeed filmed in Vietnam and the creature was a whale, the crowd wouldn't be horrified. Further, "Vietnam monster" would be an inappropriate title because whales, according to "Culture and Customs of Vietnam" (2001) by Mark W. McLeod and Thi Dieu Nguyen, there are ceremonies for beached whale in coastal southern and central Vietnam.
"The spirits of large animals, such as whales, dolphins, and tigers, were venerated," the authors wrote.
"This is in Cambodia, not Vietnam. Those people look nothing like, and sounds nothing like Vietnamese. They are speaking Khmer, language of Cambodia and the people of Cambodia," YouTube user Angkorian81 commented.
Watch the "Vietnam Monster" video below or follow the links above.
Vietnam monster or whale in Cambodia? YouTube user Josh Steinbauer summarizes the questions in many viewers mind: "Where was this 'unearthed'? What part of Vietnam? How far away from the ocean?"
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Baby Corpses Found in Storage Locker in Canada
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop