Indonesia: Mount Sinabung Records Biggest Ever Volcanic Eruption Spewing Lava and Ash up to 10km Into Air [PHOTOS]
By Hannah Osborne | November 20, 2013 11:38 PM EST
Mount Sinabung in Indonesia has erupted again, recording its biggest-ever eruption with ash and smoke being spewed 10km into the air.
The volcano has become increasingly active since September and has recorded several eruptions over the last week.
Thousands of people who live in villages around the volcano are currently stranded, with more expected to be evacuated with the threat of more eruptions remaining.
Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, spokesman for the National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB), told the Jakarta Globe: "The potential for more eruptions is still high. With lava spewing in the past four days, these eruptions will be more dangerous."
Over 6,200 people have fled their homes and are currently staying at 16 refugee centres set up by officials in Indonesia.
So far, over 25,000 hectares of farmland has been damaged and the livelihoods of many locals have been lost.
Three more smaller eruptions followed the record eruption: "There were up to 500 metres of hot clouds and the eruption lasted for 8.5 minutes. There were rumbling noises that were heard up to Berastagi and Kabanjahe," Sutopo said, warning people not to return to their homes until they are told it is safe to do so.
"We urge everyone to keep alert. There are two threats, which are eruptions and cold lava. Please don't get provoked with false rumours related to Mount Sinabung ... officials will always give information to the public."
According to Indonesia's Antara news agency, the government has raised the alert level to Level 3, the second highest alert on the country's scale. Residents are advised to abandon areas within a three kilometre radius of the volcano.
The volcano has now been spewing lava for three days and eruptions are likely to become more dangerous.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Immediate Deaths After Ice Bucket Challenge Are Hoaxes Gone Viral: Neck Injury And Hypothermia Killed Two People Performing The Stunt
- Risky Selfies That Were Taken A Few Seconds Before Tragedy Struck
- ISIS Update: Executioner of James Foley with British Accent Identified as ‘John’
- Viral Video Missouri Mall: Back-To-School Promo Of East Hills Mall In Missouri Goes Viral As Terrible Mall Ad [WATCH VIDEO]
- New Zealand Accelerates Ban on Shark Finning
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch