Indonesia: Mount Sinabung Records Biggest Ever Volcanic Eruption Spewing Lava and Ash up to 10km Into Air [PHOTOS]
By Hannah Osborne | November 20, 2013 11:38 PM EST
Mount Sinabung in Indonesia has erupted again, recording its biggest-ever eruption with ash and smoke being spewed 10km into the air.
The volcano has become increasingly active since September and has recorded several eruptions over the last week.
Thousands of people who live in villages around the volcano are currently stranded, with more expected to be evacuated with the threat of more eruptions remaining.
Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, spokesman for the National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB), told the Jakarta Globe: "The potential for more eruptions is still high. With lava spewing in the past four days, these eruptions will be more dangerous."
Over 6,200 people have fled their homes and are currently staying at 16 refugee centres set up by officials in Indonesia.
So far, over 25,000 hectares of farmland has been damaged and the livelihoods of many locals have been lost.
Three more smaller eruptions followed the record eruption: "There were up to 500 metres of hot clouds and the eruption lasted for 8.5 minutes. There were rumbling noises that were heard up to Berastagi and Kabanjahe," Sutopo said, warning people not to return to their homes until they are told it is safe to do so.
"We urge everyone to keep alert. There are two threats, which are eruptions and cold lava. Please don't get provoked with false rumours related to Mount Sinabung ... officials will always give information to the public."
According to Indonesia's Antara news agency, the government has raised the alert level to Level 3, the second highest alert on the country's scale. Residents are advised to abandon areas within a three kilometre radius of the volcano.
The volcano has now been spewing lava for three days and eruptions are likely to become more dangerous.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- Australian Woman Charged for Adultery in Lebanon for Visiting Boyfriend
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- Humans at Their Worst: MH17 Victims' Credit Cards Used in Ukraine, Phones 'Answered' by Strangers
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales