Ferus Natural Gas Enters JV with Chinese LNG Firm to Build Liquefaction Plants in Western Canada
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | November 20, 2013 1:36 PM EST
Canadian firm Ferus Natural Gas Fuels on Tuesday announced it has entered into a joint venture with a Chinese-owned liquid natural gas (LNG) distributor to build two liquefaction plants in Edmonton and Vancouver in Western Canada for $100 million.
Ferus will build and operate the plants, according to Dick Brown, CEO of Ferus. Its partner, ENN Canada, gets 20 per cent stake ownership. It has likewise committed to purchase a significant amount of the product.
ENN Canada is a subsidiary of ENN Group, one of China's largest natural gas distributors.
"The benefits of fuelling with natural gas are significant," Henry Cai, CEO of ENN Canada, said in a joint statement.
"Natural gas over diesel represents a 30 to 40 per cent cost savings to the end user and contributes up to a 25 per cent reduction in greenhouse gas emissions."
ENN has 14 LNG stations in the U.S. under the brand name BLU. It currently has more than 130 stations in China. For its Canada plans, it targets to build five stations - three in British Columbia and two in Ontario.
"They're building out their fuelling stations around these plants so they will be putting capital into expanding that," Mr Brown said.
"The joint venture has an agreement with ENN to baseload the facilities."
"In order for our customers to make the switch to natural gas, they need certainty of an uninterrupted supply of LNG to fuel their equipment. These two LNG liquefaction plants, along with the specialised distribution equipment and planned retail fuelling stations, will ensure that supply, which in turn will promote and facilitate the widespread usage of LNG in Western Canada," he added.
The Edmonton and Vancouver liquefaction plants will initially be built to produce 379,000 litres (100,000 U.S. gallons) of LNG per day, with capacity to expand as demand grows. First output is expected in 2016.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Apple Inc (AAPL) Stock May Reach $150; First Trillion Company Talks, iPhone 6 and Apple Watch Boost Price
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan