'Spring Breakers' Selena Gomez Submitted for Oscar Nomination
By Diadem Pambid | November 20, 2013 12:03 PM EST
The year is about to end which means submissions for the upcoming Oscar Awards 2014 have already been accepted. "Selenators" would be surprised to hear that thanks to Gomez's character in "Spring Breakers," the actress has been considered a nominee for Best Supporting Actress. Well, these are simply just submissions and nothing is final yet.
Everyone knows that the Oscar Awards are the biggest awards in Hollywood. Winning the award has its perks and so does being a nominee. Thankfully, like record companies who can submit records for the Grammy nominations, the Oscars also accept submissions from movie contributors.
A24, a movie contributor, has submitted their records for actors, actresses, directors and films whom they think are worthy of the golden statue. Surprisingly, A24 has focused on the film "Spring Breakers" given most of the names on their submission are from the film. Harmony Korine is up for Best Director while James Franco is up for Best Supporting Actor. Vanessa Hudgens and Ashley Benson are up for the Best Actress category while Selena Gomez along with Rachel Korine is up for Best Supporting Actress.
Given the amount of rave reviews the film has received early this year, it's not the least bit astounding as to why the film and its' stars wouldn't be noticed for the Oscar Awards.
"The best thing I've seen so far in Cannes: the outdoor movie Harmony Korine, Spring Breakers, alongside Tarantino movie. Harm is back!" Another wrote, "We saw a few minutes. Struck me see Selena Gomez and Vanessa Hudgens in such extreme scenes for the film from Korine," tweeted one film reviewer.
"The craziest movie of 2013? To be a Harmony Korine movie with theft, lesbian scenes, and punk. And James Franco with gold teeth," tweeted another reviewer.
Aside from film critics, even Robert Pattinson of "Twilight" was blown away by Harmony Korine's film.
"Today I feel that the Hollywood industry has only one goal: to force you to make bad movies," said Pattinson, adding, "The system transforms everything it touches into a disaster. Thank God there is a group of director who resist, they are forced to stand aside. It is a miracle that they can survive. I think of people like Harmony Korine that I think are incredible. He showed me his new film, 'Spring Breakers' this summer and I loved it."
A24 is serious about their pitch for James Franco along with the other "Spring Breakers" star to be possible nominees for the Oscars. Will this finally be the biggest break in Selena Gomez's career?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- Kristen Stewart ‘Not In Love’ With ‘Equals’ Co-star Nicholas Hoult -- Reports
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar