'Spring Breakers' Selena Gomez Submitted for Oscar Nomination
By Diadem Pambid | November 20, 2013 12:03 PM EST
The year is about to end which means submissions for the upcoming Oscar Awards 2014 have already been accepted. "Selenators" would be surprised to hear that thanks to Gomez's character in "Spring Breakers," the actress has been considered a nominee for Best Supporting Actress. Well, these are simply just submissions and nothing is final yet.
Everyone knows that the Oscar Awards are the biggest awards in Hollywood. Winning the award has its perks and so does being a nominee. Thankfully, like record companies who can submit records for the Grammy nominations, the Oscars also accept submissions from movie contributors.
A24, a movie contributor, has submitted their records for actors, actresses, directors and films whom they think are worthy of the golden statue. Surprisingly, A24 has focused on the film "Spring Breakers" given most of the names on their submission are from the film. Harmony Korine is up for Best Director while James Franco is up for Best Supporting Actor. Vanessa Hudgens and Ashley Benson are up for the Best Actress category while Selena Gomez along with Rachel Korine is up for Best Supporting Actress.
Given the amount of rave reviews the film has received early this year, it's not the least bit astounding as to why the film and its' stars wouldn't be noticed for the Oscar Awards.
"The best thing I've seen so far in Cannes: the outdoor movie Harmony Korine, Spring Breakers, alongside Tarantino movie. Harm is back!" Another wrote, "We saw a few minutes. Struck me see Selena Gomez and Vanessa Hudgens in such extreme scenes for the film from Korine," tweeted one film reviewer.
"The craziest movie of 2013? To be a Harmony Korine movie with theft, lesbian scenes, and punk. And James Franco with gold teeth," tweeted another reviewer.
Aside from film critics, even Robert Pattinson of "Twilight" was blown away by Harmony Korine's film.
"Today I feel that the Hollywood industry has only one goal: to force you to make bad movies," said Pattinson, adding, "The system transforms everything it touches into a disaster. Thank God there is a group of director who resist, they are forced to stand aside. It is a miracle that they can survive. I think of people like Harmony Korine that I think are incredible. He showed me his new film, 'Spring Breakers' this summer and I loved it."
A24 is serious about their pitch for James Franco along with the other "Spring Breakers" star to be possible nominees for the Oscars. Will this finally be the biggest break in Selena Gomez's career?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron' Teaser Trailer: Fans' Cry At ‘Epic’ Footage, Vision Not Featured
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’