'Spring Breakers' Selena Gomez Submitted for Oscar Nomination
By Diadem Pambid | November 20, 2013 12:03 PM EST
The year is about to end which means submissions for the upcoming Oscar Awards 2014 have already been accepted. "Selenators" would be surprised to hear that thanks to Gomez's character in "Spring Breakers," the actress has been considered a nominee for Best Supporting Actress. Well, these are simply just submissions and nothing is final yet.
Everyone knows that the Oscar Awards are the biggest awards in Hollywood. Winning the award has its perks and so does being a nominee. Thankfully, like record companies who can submit records for the Grammy nominations, the Oscars also accept submissions from movie contributors.
A24, a movie contributor, has submitted their records for actors, actresses, directors and films whom they think are worthy of the golden statue. Surprisingly, A24 has focused on the film "Spring Breakers" given most of the names on their submission are from the film. Harmony Korine is up for Best Director while James Franco is up for Best Supporting Actor. Vanessa Hudgens and Ashley Benson are up for the Best Actress category while Selena Gomez along with Rachel Korine is up for Best Supporting Actress.
Given the amount of rave reviews the film has received early this year, it's not the least bit astounding as to why the film and its' stars wouldn't be noticed for the Oscar Awards.
"The best thing I've seen so far in Cannes: the outdoor movie Harmony Korine, Spring Breakers, alongside Tarantino movie. Harm is back!" Another wrote, "We saw a few minutes. Struck me see Selena Gomez and Vanessa Hudgens in such extreme scenes for the film from Korine," tweeted one film reviewer.
"The craziest movie of 2013? To be a Harmony Korine movie with theft, lesbian scenes, and punk. And James Franco with gold teeth," tweeted another reviewer.
Aside from film critics, even Robert Pattinson of "Twilight" was blown away by Harmony Korine's film.
"Today I feel that the Hollywood industry has only one goal: to force you to make bad movies," said Pattinson, adding, "The system transforms everything it touches into a disaster. Thank God there is a group of director who resist, they are forced to stand aside. It is a miracle that they can survive. I think of people like Harmony Korine that I think are incredible. He showed me his new film, 'Spring Breakers' this summer and I loved it."
A24 is serious about their pitch for James Franco along with the other "Spring Breakers" star to be possible nominees for the Oscars. Will this finally be the biggest break in Selena Gomez's career?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 29, 2014: Brooke Must Decide If She Will Continue With Her Plans Of Marrying Bill [WATCH VIDEO]
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate