Angelina Jolie Stuns in Black Gown, Delivers Tearful Speech at Governor's Awards [PHOTOS/VIDEO]
By nidhi tewari | November 18, 2013 5:14 PM EST
Gorgeous actress Angelina Jolie remembered her late mother tearfully as she was honoured with the prestigious Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award for her charitable work at the 5th Annual Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences Governors Awards in Hollywood.
The stunning beauty was dressed in her trademark black gown and was accompanied by partner Brand Pitt and son Maddox.
The Oscar-winning actress could not hide her tears when she delivered her emotional speech to her late mother, Marcheline Bertrand and dedicated her award to her mom. The star-studded award ceremony took place on Saturday. The jury mentioned about Angelina's more than 40 field missions that included helping refugees from Cambodia and Syria.
"My love, your guidance and support make everything that I do possible," said a tearful Jolie as she thanked Brad Pitt.
"Mad, I'm not going to cry, I promise. I won't embarrass you. You and your brothers and sisters are my happiness. And there is no greater honour in this world than being your mom," the "Tomb Raider" actress said thanking her 12-year-old son Maddox.
The 38-year-old star then went on to thank the woman she admired the most - her mother.
"I am very humble to be here tonight among so many extraordinary artists. My mother loves art. She loved film. She supported any crazy thing I did, but whenever it had meaning, she made a point of telling me,' 'That is what film is for'," Angelina said.
The actress then revealed how her charitable work around the globe made her realise how life is really about surviving all hardships. When she saw what drastic lives people across the world are leading she thanked God for her good life and family.
"And when I met survivors of war and famine and rape, I learned what life was like for most people in this world. And how fortunate I was to have food to eat, a roof over my head, a safe place to live and the joy of having my family safe and healthy. And I realized how sheltered I had been. And I was determined to never be that way again," the mother of six said.
Other noted people who were honoured at the ceremony included Steve Martin and Angela Lansbury. The two also received Honorary Oscars from the Board of Governors of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
Tom Hanks, Jake Gyllenhaal, Diane Keaton, Judd Apatow, Harrison Ford, Amy Adams, Matthew McConaughey, and George Lucas were among the few who attended the gala event. See the video of Angelina Jolie's acceptance speech below.
Angelina Jolie Gets Emotional
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Finale Recap: And The Winner Is…[Spoilers]
- Kris Jenner Shocks Boyfriend Corey Gamble In The Bedroom With Her Tricks And Fabulous Sex Life
- 'Glee' Season 6 Spoilers, Air Date: Naya Rivera Teases Wedding In Final Chapter, Lea Michele Tweets 700th Song Number
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys