Chelsea Forward Clarifies Criticism of Wayne Rooney
By Vanessa Keller | November 18, 2013 2:12 AM EST
Chelsea striker Andre Schurrle has denied he started a war of words with Manchester United man Wayne Rooney, after reports claimed he said the forward doesn't have what it takes to play for the German national team.
As Germany prepare to play England in a friendly on Tuesday night, Schurrle's side are favourites to defeat the Three Lions.
Their 4-1 thrashing of England at the 2012 World Cup is certainly long from being forgotten in the minds of the Germans and Schurrle reportedly claimed that although he believes Rooney has great ability, the hitman wouldn't make it into the German starting XI.
"Rooney is a great player, but we have good quality, too, in every position, and maybe twice, so I don't know if he would play," he told reporters.
But now the 23-year-old has insisted that he never said such words, Tweeting: "That's not what I meant to say about Rooney!!!! He is a great player!!!!"
While Rooney has scored seven times for United this season and is credited with having kept the side within reaching distance of top place in the title, Schurrle has scored just twice for Chelsea having gone on a nine-game run at the start of the season without scoring.
But the forward has been in form for Germany lately, scoring three goals in their final World Cup qualification game against Sweden. While Germany coach Joachim Low has rested Mesut Ozil, Philip Lahm and Manuel Neuer for the upcoming match, it will be a chance for Schurrle to show he is definitely worthy of a place on the plan for Brazil next year.
In Rooney's case, his selection for England's World Cup squad appears all but certain and as his form continues to improve for United he could be set to finally replicate that form for his country when they need it the most.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report