Chelsea Forward Clarifies Criticism of Wayne Rooney
By Vanessa Keller | November 18, 2013 2:12 AM EST
Chelsea striker Andre Schurrle has denied he started a war of words with Manchester United man Wayne Rooney, after reports claimed he said the forward doesn't have what it takes to play for the German national team.
As Germany prepare to play England in a friendly on Tuesday night, Schurrle's side are favourites to defeat the Three Lions.
Their 4-1 thrashing of England at the 2012 World Cup is certainly long from being forgotten in the minds of the Germans and Schurrle reportedly claimed that although he believes Rooney has great ability, the hitman wouldn't make it into the German starting XI.
"Rooney is a great player, but we have good quality, too, in every position, and maybe twice, so I don't know if he would play," he told reporters.
But now the 23-year-old has insisted that he never said such words, Tweeting: "That's not what I meant to say about Rooney!!!! He is a great player!!!!"
While Rooney has scored seven times for United this season and is credited with having kept the side within reaching distance of top place in the title, Schurrle has scored just twice for Chelsea having gone on a nine-game run at the start of the season without scoring.
But the forward has been in form for Germany lately, scoring three goals in their final World Cup qualification game against Sweden. While Germany coach Joachim Low has rested Mesut Ozil, Philip Lahm and Manuel Neuer for the upcoming match, it will be a chance for Schurrle to show he is definitely worthy of a place on the plan for Brazil next year.
In Rooney's case, his selection for England's World Cup squad appears all but certain and as his form continues to improve for United he could be set to finally replicate that form for his country when they need it the most.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June