Chelsea Forward Clarifies Criticism of Wayne Rooney
By Vanessa Keller | November 18, 2013 2:12 AM EST
Chelsea striker Andre Schurrle has denied he started a war of words with Manchester United man Wayne Rooney, after reports claimed he said the forward doesn't have what it takes to play for the German national team.
As Germany prepare to play England in a friendly on Tuesday night, Schurrle's side are favourites to defeat the Three Lions.
Their 4-1 thrashing of England at the 2012 World Cup is certainly long from being forgotten in the minds of the Germans and Schurrle reportedly claimed that although he believes Rooney has great ability, the hitman wouldn't make it into the German starting XI.
"Rooney is a great player, but we have good quality, too, in every position, and maybe twice, so I don't know if he would play," he told reporters.
But now the 23-year-old has insisted that he never said such words, Tweeting: "That's not what I meant to say about Rooney!!!! He is a great player!!!!"
While Rooney has scored seven times for United this season and is credited with having kept the side within reaching distance of top place in the title, Schurrle has scored just twice for Chelsea having gone on a nine-game run at the start of the season without scoring.
But the forward has been in form for Germany lately, scoring three goals in their final World Cup qualification game against Sweden. While Germany coach Joachim Low has rested Mesut Ozil, Philip Lahm and Manuel Neuer for the upcoming match, it will be a chance for Schurrle to show he is definitely worthy of a place on the plan for Brazil next year.
In Rooney's case, his selection for England's World Cup squad appears all but certain and as his form continues to improve for United he could be set to finally replicate that form for his country when they need it the most.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group A Preview, Prediction, Roster, Schedule: Spain and Brazil To Clinch Top 2 Spots, France, Serbia, And Iran To Battle For Remaining Slots
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Team Preview: Puerto Rico Roster, Key Players And Schedule
- Kevin Love Tells Minnesota Timberwolves Owner Glen Taylor To Mind His Own Team
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge