Chelsea Forward Clarifies Criticism of Wayne Rooney
By Vanessa Keller | November 18, 2013 2:12 AM EST
Chelsea striker Andre Schurrle has denied he started a war of words with Manchester United man Wayne Rooney, after reports claimed he said the forward doesn't have what it takes to play for the German national team.
As Germany prepare to play England in a friendly on Tuesday night, Schurrle's side are favourites to defeat the Three Lions.
Their 4-1 thrashing of England at the 2012 World Cup is certainly long from being forgotten in the minds of the Germans and Schurrle reportedly claimed that although he believes Rooney has great ability, the hitman wouldn't make it into the German starting XI.
"Rooney is a great player, but we have good quality, too, in every position, and maybe twice, so I don't know if he would play," he told reporters.
But now the 23-year-old has insisted that he never said such words, Tweeting: "That's not what I meant to say about Rooney!!!! He is a great player!!!!"
While Rooney has scored seven times for United this season and is credited with having kept the side within reaching distance of top place in the title, Schurrle has scored just twice for Chelsea having gone on a nine-game run at the start of the season without scoring.
But the forward has been in form for Germany lately, scoring three goals in their final World Cup qualification game against Sweden. While Germany coach Joachim Low has rested Mesut Ozil, Philip Lahm and Manuel Neuer for the upcoming match, it will be a chance for Schurrle to show he is definitely worthy of a place on the plan for Brazil next year.
In Rooney's case, his selection for England's World Cup squad appears all but certain and as his form continues to improve for United he could be set to finally replicate that form for his country when they need it the most.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’