Chelsea Forward Clarifies Criticism of Wayne Rooney
By Vanessa Keller | November 18, 2013 2:12 AM EST
Chelsea striker Andre Schurrle has denied he started a war of words with Manchester United man Wayne Rooney, after reports claimed he said the forward doesn't have what it takes to play for the German national team.
As Germany prepare to play England in a friendly on Tuesday night, Schurrle's side are favourites to defeat the Three Lions.
Their 4-1 thrashing of England at the 2012 World Cup is certainly long from being forgotten in the minds of the Germans and Schurrle reportedly claimed that although he believes Rooney has great ability, the hitman wouldn't make it into the German starting XI.
"Rooney is a great player, but we have good quality, too, in every position, and maybe twice, so I don't know if he would play," he told reporters.
But now the 23-year-old has insisted that he never said such words, Tweeting: "That's not what I meant to say about Rooney!!!! He is a great player!!!!"
While Rooney has scored seven times for United this season and is credited with having kept the side within reaching distance of top place in the title, Schurrle has scored just twice for Chelsea having gone on a nine-game run at the start of the season without scoring.
But the forward has been in form for Germany lately, scoring three goals in their final World Cup qualification game against Sweden. While Germany coach Joachim Low has rested Mesut Ozil, Philip Lahm and Manuel Neuer for the upcoming match, it will be a chance for Schurrle to show he is definitely worthy of a place on the plan for Brazil next year.
In Rooney's case, his selection for England's World Cup squad appears all but certain and as his form continues to improve for United he could be set to finally replicate that form for his country when they need it the most.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet
- HTC Desire 820 (Octa-Core) vs. Sony Xperia Z3 Compact – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown