Liverpool Favourite Implores Rodgers To Sign £20m Bundesliga Midfield Star
By Vanessa Keller | November 18, 2013 12:27 AM EST
Jan Molby believes that Brendan Rodgers should make a move to sign Bayer Leverkusen midfielder Lars Bender in the January transfer window as Liverpool look to bolster their squad and keep up their good form.
Bender was connected with a possible move to the Reds in the lead-up to the summer, with some suggesting that Leverkusen manager Sami Hyypia's relationship with the club would make the deal easier to complete.
Former Liverpool man Molby believes that the Germany international, said to be worth around £20m, would be the perfect addition for Rodgers in January as he looks for more options in the midfield to assist Steven Gerrard.
"My suggestion would be for Liverpool to go after Bayer Leverkusen's Lars Bender," he told the Liverpool Echo. "There are a lot of top players in Germany and I look at Bender and believe he is the real deal.
"For me, he ticks all the boxes.
"But, as I say, you can never second guess managers these days and my views may be seen as a little old school."
German players are taking the Premier League by storm this season with Arsenal's contingent, including summer signing Mesut Ozil, credited with helping the north London side into first place in both the league and the Champions League so-called 'group of death'.
Meanwhile Liverpool have been having a great deal of success themselves and depending on the outcome of the Gunners' match-up with Southampton next weekend they could find themselves at the top of the table if they can defeat Everton.
While some have been questioning the abilities this season of Gerrard, who is now 33 years of age, Molby argues that Liverpool need more players like him in their squad and suggested Yaya Toure as the perfect type of player that the Reds need to stay challenging for the title.
He explained: "I would like to see Liverpool add a player who is the younger version of Steven Gerrard.
"That style of all-round midfielder.
"Yaya Toure does that great job for Manchester City and is a player who defends when he has to but can also control the pace of a game with the ball. Toure also chips in with goals when he can."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Out There To Save His Two Favourite Ladies In Mid-season Finale
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change