Governors Awards 2013: Angelina Jolie Receives Humanitarian Award
By Simi John | November 17, 2013 10:28 PM EST
Oscar-winning actress Angelina Jolie received the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award during the fifth annual Academy Governors Awards ceremony, at the Grand Ballroom of the Hollywood and Highland Center.
The 38-year-old actress, who wore a black Atelier Versace dress, was joined on the red carpet by long-time partner Brad Pitt and their son Maddox.
"My love. Your support and your guidance make everything I do possible," she said during her award acceptance speech, "I'm not going to cry, I promise," Jolie said to Maddox from the stage. "I'm not going to embarrass you. You and your brothers and sisters are my happiness and there is no greater honor in this world than being your mom."
During an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, the Salt actress revealed what inspired her to work for the refugees.
"In Cambodia [while making the 2001 film Lara Croft: Tomb Raider], I learned about the refugee crisis during the war and met many returned families," she said, "Many of those families are now close friends and neighbours. They are extraordinary people. It is my honor to be spending time with refugee families. I have such admiration and respect for them; I refuse to see it as a charity. If anything, I have learned more from them than I could ever hope to give."
She added that "the inability of the world to stop the suffering and death of innocent people in Syria" troubles her the most.
"After all the lessons of history, after the slaughter in Bosnia and Rwanda when we promised we'd never let it happen again, yet again thousands of people are being brutally killed and millions are fleeing, and the world seems helpless to stop it. This is a desperate, urgent situation that simply cannot be allowed to continue. I believe that if people around the world all demand that their governments do more and that the United Nations functions as it should, we can find a way of ending this." she said.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy: Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Prince Harry Somber - Reports
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce &Jay Z Marriage Story: Bey Not Attracted to Jay, Married Him for Professional Growth - Reports
- Khloe Kardashian Baby Bump Pictures Allegedly Arrive on Instagram, Reported to be Pregnant with French Montana's Baby
- Kim Kardashian's Divorce Struggles: Kanye West Emotionally Unavailable, Neglects Kim and North West on Trip to Mexico
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- CCTV Footage Captured Children Being Beaten To Sleep And Physically Abused Inside Nursery
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report