Haiyan (Yolanda) Update: Filipina Newsreader Korina Sanchez Slammed For Printed Slippers Donation
By Anne Lu | November 17, 2013 12:25 PM EST
Filipina newsreader Korina Sanchez is facing yet another social media backlash after her infamous and very recent feud with CNN news anchor Anderson Cooper. A photo showing slippers bearing her name has been circulating online, with Netizens claiming she has had the footwear printed before she would donate them to the victims of the super typhoon Haiyan, known locally as Yolanda, in central Philippines.
Ms Sanchez fronts a TV magazine program in the country titled “Rated K,” which often gives flip flops to the poorer rural sections of the country. With provinces in central region desperately needing help after being ravaged by Haiyan on November 8, her method of helping appeared to be typical of a mainstream TV personality. She reportedly ordered flip flops to be printed with her name on the insoles and in her husband’s campaign colours.
Her husband is Mar Roxas, secretary of the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG), who has also been receiving flak along with President Benigno Aquino for the slow response of the government to the crisis.
— Methiie (@MethLelis) November 16, 2013
While the residents of the Haiyan-devastated provinces would need footwear, many Filipino citizens on social media criticised the veteran journalist for her apparent insensitivity.
As people have pointed out, why was it necessary to have her name printed on her donation? Is it because she still has plans on becoming the country’s First Lady (Mr Roxas is reportedly running for president in 2016)? Help is already coming far too slow to the victims of the super typhoon, so when did she have time to have the flip flops printed?
Other Filipinos also noted that the Haiyan/Yolanda victims need food and water and other basic necessities a lot more than fancy slippers, so if Ms Sanchez really wanted to help, then she should have forgone with the slipper-printing and just bought more practical items.
It’s not known for certain if the printed slippers were really intended for the Haiyan victims or if they were old stock from her show. Netizens believe that those were new, though, and were truly intended to be given out to the survivors.
The flip flop issue came merely days after her tiff with Mr Cooper.
After the U.S. journalist reported the dire situation of the surviving residents in Tacloban, the province that was hit the hardest by Haiyan, Ms Sanchez ran a blind item that was obviously referring to Mr Cooper, saying that a blond reporter from CNN did not know what he was talking about.
Ms Sanchez, who is also close friends with the president’s sister Kris Aquino, was most likely incensed with Mr Cooper’s reporting when he said that the government has not yet arrived to help the victims even after days have passed.
Instead of siding with her, her fellow Filipinos have lambasted Ms Sanchez for her uncalled for remark. According to most comments on various social media sites, Ms Sanchez has been reading news written by her assistants in the comfort of her radio and TV studios while Mr Cooper has seen the real deal, being in Tacloban himself.
Mr Roxas is one of the four vice chairpersons of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) as well, which might explain why Ms Sanchez took offence at Mr Cooper’s coverage.
Mr Cooper has reacted to her comment, urging her to come to Tacloban City to see the situation for herself.
Meanwhile, Ms Sanchez isn’t the only known personality in the country that is getting flak for printing her name on donations. Vice President Jejomar Binay is being attacked online as well for allegedly branding repacked relief goods with his name and VP logo.
Read related: Haiyan (Yolanda) Update: Philippine VP Jejomar Binay Panned For Allegedly Branding Name On Relief Goods
His spokesman denied the report, however, claiming that the relief goods that they repacked have no prints on them. The relief goods with the VP’s name and logo were apparently donated by Engr Nelson Golez of Iloilo.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- This Model Thinks She Is A Bombshell After Plastic Surgery Costing £30,000 Makes Her Look Like A Sex Toy
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy:Camilla And Princess Eugenie Jealous, Duchess Only Good At Making Babies--- Report
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone