Haiyan (Yolanda) Update: Filipina Newsreader Korina Sanchez Slammed For Printed Slippers Donation
By Anne Lu | November 17, 2013 12:25 PM EST
Filipina newsreader Korina Sanchez is facing yet another social media backlash after her infamous and very recent feud with CNN news anchor Anderson Cooper. A photo showing slippers bearing her name has been circulating online, with Netizens claiming she has had the footwear printed before she would donate them to the victims of the super typhoon Haiyan, known locally as Yolanda, in central Philippines.
Ms Sanchez fronts a TV magazine program in the country titled “Rated K,” which often gives flip flops to the poorer rural sections of the country. With provinces in central region desperately needing help after being ravaged by Haiyan on November 8, her method of helping appeared to be typical of a mainstream TV personality. She reportedly ordered flip flops to be printed with her name on the insoles and in her husband’s campaign colours.
Her husband is Mar Roxas, secretary of the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG), who has also been receiving flak along with President Benigno Aquino for the slow response of the government to the crisis.
— Methiie (@MethLelis) November 16, 2013
While the residents of the Haiyan-devastated provinces would need footwear, many Filipino citizens on social media criticised the veteran journalist for her apparent insensitivity.
As people have pointed out, why was it necessary to have her name printed on her donation? Is it because she still has plans on becoming the country’s First Lady (Mr Roxas is reportedly running for president in 2016)? Help is already coming far too slow to the victims of the super typhoon, so when did she have time to have the flip flops printed?
Other Filipinos also noted that the Haiyan/Yolanda victims need food and water and other basic necessities a lot more than fancy slippers, so if Ms Sanchez really wanted to help, then she should have forgone with the slipper-printing and just bought more practical items.
It’s not known for certain if the printed slippers were really intended for the Haiyan victims or if they were old stock from her show. Netizens believe that those were new, though, and were truly intended to be given out to the survivors.
The flip flop issue came merely days after her tiff with Mr Cooper.
After the U.S. journalist reported the dire situation of the surviving residents in Tacloban, the province that was hit the hardest by Haiyan, Ms Sanchez ran a blind item that was obviously referring to Mr Cooper, saying that a blond reporter from CNN did not know what he was talking about.
Ms Sanchez, who is also close friends with the president’s sister Kris Aquino, was most likely incensed with Mr Cooper’s reporting when he said that the government has not yet arrived to help the victims even after days have passed.
Instead of siding with her, her fellow Filipinos have lambasted Ms Sanchez for her uncalled for remark. According to most comments on various social media sites, Ms Sanchez has been reading news written by her assistants in the comfort of her radio and TV studios while Mr Cooper has seen the real deal, being in Tacloban himself.
Mr Roxas is one of the four vice chairpersons of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) as well, which might explain why Ms Sanchez took offence at Mr Cooper’s coverage.
Mr Cooper has reacted to her comment, urging her to come to Tacloban City to see the situation for herself.
Meanwhile, Ms Sanchez isn’t the only known personality in the country that is getting flak for printing her name on donations. Vice President Jejomar Binay is being attacked online as well for allegedly branding repacked relief goods with his name and VP logo.
Read related: Haiyan (Yolanda) Update: Philippine VP Jejomar Binay Panned For Allegedly Branding Name On Relief Goods
His spokesman denied the report, however, claiming that the relief goods that they repacked have no prints on them. The relief goods with the VP’s name and logo were apparently donated by Engr Nelson Golez of Iloilo.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Fate of MH370, MH17 Trigger Mass Resignation of Crew in Malaysia Airlines
- ISIS $3 Million Daily Oil Revenues Fund Operations; Obama to Build International Coalition to Widen Assault
- James Foley's Family and Boss Reject Syrian Claim of Foley Killed A Year Ago
- British Cleric Accused of Urging James Foley Executioner; Predicted ISIS Will Fight in the West
- Amish Girls Abducted, Handcuffed And Used As Sex Slaves
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown