Jammu and Kashmir Jolted by 3.8 Magnitude Earthquake, Tremors Felt in Delhi
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 16, 2013 4:03 PM EST
Tremors were felt in national capital Delhi, as an earthquake of 3.8-magnitude hit northern state of Jammu and Kashmir early on Saturday.
The temblor had its epicentre 43 km north of the summer capital of Ladakh - Leh, according to the US Geological Survey (USGS).
The earthquake struck the state at 3.51 am (local timing), reported All India Radio News. There have been no reports of casualties or property damage in the region.
Saturday's earthquake struck days after a series of four temblors jolted the national capital region. On Twitter, Shivam Vij, a localite, posted, "Another earthquake in Delhi. Heard but not felt. Scarier this way. Not a good feeling."
Residents of South Delhi rushed out of their home in the dead of the night, when the four earthquakes struck between 12:41 am and 03:41 am on Tuesday.
The first quake struck at 12:41 am with Sainik Farms as its epicenter and happened at a depth of 10 km. The second quake at 1:41 am measured the strongest on the Richter scale with 3.3 magnitude that shook Delhi and surrounding towns of Noida and Gurgaon.
The epicentre of the second and third quake, at 1:55 am with an intensity of 2.5 on the Richter scale, lay south-east of Manesar beyond Gurgaon in Haryana. The next and last temblor hit at 3:40 am and was of 2.8 magnitude.
Experts told NDTV that such quakes with mild tremors were caused due to a re-alignment in fault zones.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Video Showing Mentally Disabled African American Shot 46 Times By Eight Police Officers For Just Holding A Penknife
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Forced To Return To Royal Engagements, Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Robbery Attempt in Sydney Bank, Armed Robbers on The Loose
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery