Jammu and Kashmir Jolted by 3.8 Magnitude Earthquake, Tremors Felt in Delhi
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 16, 2013 4:03 PM EST
Tremors were felt in national capital Delhi, as an earthquake of 3.8-magnitude hit northern state of Jammu and Kashmir early on Saturday.
The temblor had its epicentre 43 km north of the summer capital of Ladakh - Leh, according to the US Geological Survey (USGS).
The earthquake struck the state at 3.51 am (local timing), reported All India Radio News. There have been no reports of casualties or property damage in the region.
Saturday's earthquake struck days after a series of four temblors jolted the national capital region. On Twitter, Shivam Vij, a localite, posted, "Another earthquake in Delhi. Heard but not felt. Scarier this way. Not a good feeling."
Residents of South Delhi rushed out of their home in the dead of the night, when the four earthquakes struck between 12:41 am and 03:41 am on Tuesday.
The first quake struck at 12:41 am with Sainik Farms as its epicenter and happened at a depth of 10 km. The second quake at 1:41 am measured the strongest on the Richter scale with 3.3 magnitude that shook Delhi and surrounding towns of Noida and Gurgaon.
The epicentre of the second and third quake, at 1:55 am with an intensity of 2.5 on the Richter scale, lay south-east of Manesar beyond Gurgaon in Haryana. The next and last temblor hit at 3:40 am and was of 2.8 magnitude.
Experts told NDTV that such quakes with mild tremors were caused due to a re-alignment in fault zones.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Reportedly Prohibits Camilla Parker-Bowles From ‘Seeing Her Family’ And Newborn
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Ebola in US: Stock Surge for Pharmaceutical Companies Working on Vaccine
- Local Syrians Have Mixed Reactions To US Airstrikes Against ISIS; Opposition 'Suspicious'
- Melbourne Wakes Up To Anti-Terror Raids: Seabrook Man Arrested For Funding Terrorist Organisation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build