Jammu and Kashmir Jolted by 3.8 Magnitude Earthquake, Tremors Felt in Delhi
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 16, 2013 4:03 PM EST
Tremors were felt in national capital Delhi, as an earthquake of 3.8-magnitude hit northern state of Jammu and Kashmir early on Saturday.
The temblor had its epicentre 43 km north of the summer capital of Ladakh - Leh, according to the US Geological Survey (USGS).
The earthquake struck the state at 3.51 am (local timing), reported All India Radio News. There have been no reports of casualties or property damage in the region.
Saturday's earthquake struck days after a series of four temblors jolted the national capital region. On Twitter, Shivam Vij, a localite, posted, "Another earthquake in Delhi. Heard but not felt. Scarier this way. Not a good feeling."
Residents of South Delhi rushed out of their home in the dead of the night, when the four earthquakes struck between 12:41 am and 03:41 am on Tuesday.
The first quake struck at 12:41 am with Sainik Farms as its epicenter and happened at a depth of 10 km. The second quake at 1:41 am measured the strongest on the Richter scale with 3.3 magnitude that shook Delhi and surrounding towns of Noida and Gurgaon.
The epicentre of the second and third quake, at 1:55 am with an intensity of 2.5 on the Richter scale, lay south-east of Manesar beyond Gurgaon in Haryana. The next and last temblor hit at 3:40 am and was of 2.8 magnitude.
Experts told NDTV that such quakes with mild tremors were caused due to a re-alignment in fault zones.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- 63-Year-Old Admits He Has Made Love To More Than 700 Cars But Now Remains Faithful To Just One Beetle
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar