Storm Surge: What Exactly is It? [PHOTOS, VIDEOS]
By Janice Somosot | November 14, 2013 12:38 PM EST
Storm surge is a popular term in the Philippines now mainly because of the devastating aftermath of Typhoon Haiyan which wreaked havoc in its path particularly in the Leyte province and the surrounding areas. But, what exactly is it? Most Filipinos haven't even heard of that term and don't know what it actually means because it is not used often in weather reports. Filipinos are more familiar with other terms such as tsunami, hurricanes, tornadoes, storm signals and floods.
According to the Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) of the Australian Government, a storm surge is an abnormal rise above the normal water level along a shore caused by a storm.
A storm surge is typically caused by low pressure, high winds and high waves associated with tropical cyclones such as a typhoon, hurricane, tropical storm, tropical depression and cyclonic storm as it makes landfall.
Apparently, the storm surge brought about by the heavy winds in the coastal areas of Leyte and the surrounding areas was underestimated by those who live there. They were reportedly warned about it and were asked to evacuate the area immediately, but even those who evacuated were still affected by this storm surge.
The Federal government in Manila "knew it was going to be bad but didn't expect this," said The Philippine Star political columnist Alex Magno in a CNBC report.
"We're used to Level Four typhoons but this was different because of the storm surge," said Lt. Col. Ramon Zagala in a report by CNBC.
"It was like a tsunami," Zagala added.
Check out a video of the Typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda) Storm Surge below:
CREDIT: YouTube/Jules Davis
Its effects are a bit similar to a tsunami, but the difference between a tsunami and a storm surge is that a tsunami is caused by an earthquake, a volcanic eruption or asteroid impacts, while a storm surge happens because of a storm, as the name suggests. It literally means a surge (or flow, heave, outpouring, gush, upwelling, swell, rush, flood) of waves brought about by a storm.
To be safe from a storm surge, evacuate to a much higher area that is very far from nearby bodies of water. Because its effects are similar to a tsunami, take the necessary precautions and preparations for situations like that.
CREDIT: YouTube/The Weather Channel
The storm has passed and the Filipinos left behind have survived and made it through the rain. However, even if Typhoon Haiyan has left the country, its effects are still felt up to now and probably in the days to come as the nation slowly rises up from being knocked down by this super strong typhoon.
- Check out Super Typhoon Haiyan Related News:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Of Cambridge ‘Dissed’ By Camilla Parker-Bowles; Delivery Expected In April- Reports
- 'Green Alien Eggs' Spotted on Sydney's Dee Why Beach
- Drag Queens Fume That Facebook Is Banning Aliases And Threaten to Drop Out Of It
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde Attends Father’s Funeral Without Handcuffs, Brother Thanks TPB Founder’s Supporters on Facebook
- British Teenager Wants Her Leg Cut To be Able To Compete At Paralympics – Watch Video
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed